MDA provides customers around the world with essential information solutions used for decision-making.
MDA’s R&D group is looking for a bright, capable research scientist who is motivated to solve challenging problems in a flexible, research-driven environment. The successful candidate will work with our dynamic and high-functioning research and development teams to develop innovative solutions that strategically position MDA’s technical capabilities and offerings in Canadian and selected international markets. MDA is looking for a candidate with a solid technical background and strong communication and leadership skills to develop tools and algorithms for earth observation data.
MDA provides customers around the world with essential information solutions used for decision-making. Our employees enjoy challenging careers with opportunity for growth and learning.
The chosen candidate will contribute in some or all of the following ways:
- Analyze and solve complex research problems in the fields of Earth observation image exploitation, sensor data fusion, and machine/deep learning
- Build tools and framework to support the demonstration and deployment of core capabilities and algorithms
- Benchmark and validate algorithm and software performance
- Collaborate closely with other research scientists and engineers in the R&D group to build solutions and share understanding and insights
- Prepare and present system demonstrations and technical documentation to customers and internal stakeholders
Preferred Experience & Expertise
Candidates must have most of the following:
- Background in algorithm development and analysis using Python or Matlab
- Experience developing machine learning and artificial intelligence algorithms, particularly deep learning algorithms such as CNNs and RNNs in Python and TensorFlow/Keras/PyTorch
- Understanding of sensor and imaging systems, including optical and radar
- Demonstrated experience with image/signal processing tools (e.g., OpenCV) and computer vision algorithms for image classification, object detection, semantic segmentation, etc.
- Experience designing, running and analyzing results of machine learning experiments
- Comfortable working in Windows and Linux
- Education and/or experience in physics, mathematics, electrical engineering, computer science, or related subjects
- Ability to work within a large organization with multiple dependencies and stakeholder needs
- Desire to work in a diverse, dynamic team towards a challenging common goal
- Self-motivated, problem-solving mindset
- Fast learner who enjoys learning about and exploiting new technologies
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
Nice-to-Have Experience & Expertise
Any of the following would be an asset to candidates:
- Background in remote sensing, satellite imagery & satellite systems, or geospatial data analysis
- Knowledge of the full software development life cycle, object-oriented design, data structures & algorithms, and software design patterns
- Experience leveraging cloud computing (e.g. AWS) and high-performance computing (e.g. GPUs)
- Experience with professional software development tools and practices:
- C++ and/or Java
- Version control (Git, Mercurial, SVN, etc)
- Unit & integration testing
- Web services & REST APIs
- Continuous integration (e.g. Jenkins)
- Positions are based in Richmond, BC and may include travel.
- Successful candidate(s) must be able to obtain and hold security clearance at the Reliability or NATO Secret level, and pass security assessment for the Controlled Goods Program.
- MDA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Competitive Compensation and Benefits Package
MDA provides competitive compensation and benefits packages for its employees at its many locations. As a member of the MDA team, you and your qualified dependents are eligible to participate in a benefit plan that ensures a comprehensive level of protection for employees and their families through health care plans, disability income protection, life insurance, and other employee benefits. The Company’s retirement plans encourage employees to save for their future with a Company matching contribution in many locations.