Relativity is the first and only company to automate aerospace manufacturing by integrating intelligent robotics, software, and proprietary metal 3D printing technology.
Relativity is the first and only company to automate aerospace manufacturing by integrating intelligent robotics, software, and proprietary metal 3D printing technology. Disrupting 60 years of aerospace, Relativity offers a radically simplified supply chain, building a rocket with 100x fewer parts in less than 60 days. Our long-term goal is to upgrade humanity’s industrial base on Earth and on Mars.
The structures team is responsible for the design, analysis, and test validation of our launch vehicle’s structural components. As an engineering leader, you will provide outstanding technical leadership in the development of our additively manufactured vehicle structures, establish engineering design roadmaps as well as building a world-class structures design team.
You will work collaboratively with the structures, additive, manufacturing, test, and loads teams to deliver these projects on time and budget while meeting our technical requirements. A high degree of autonomy along with an ability to prioritize work in our fast-paced environment is required.
What you’ll do:
You will play a key role in finalizing the Terran 1 flight structures as well as developing the structural architecture of the upcoming Terran R vehicle, along with growing an amazingly talented team. Your team will be responsible for the full design cycle, including conceptualization, design, analysis, manufacturing, and testing of primary and secondary structures related to Thrust Structure, Propellant Tanks, Interstage, and/or Fairing. You will need to think creatively to leverage our additive technology to reduce mass, parts count, processes, and tooling required.
Here are some examples of projects you could be working on:
- Serve as the technical authority for structures design in collaboration with Relativity’s engineering leadership
- Hire, train, guide, and mentor structures & design engineers to be efficient, hardware-focused, collaborative, and technically rigorous
- Innovative conceptualization of structural load path, design of complex structures, the definition of system packaging, the guidance of test campaigns as well as the support of manufacturing processes
- Review of static & dynamic load inputs, material properties, and additive process features development, along with establishing structural systems & subsystems requirements
In order to be successful in this role, you should be self-motivated, adaptable, and is able to lead a team in a fast-paced environment. You should also be able to resolve ambiguity and drive projects to completion. Ideally, you have significant mechanical or structural design and leadership experience as well as a proven track record of completing collaborative projects effectively.
On a weekly basis, you will be providing guidance for the team, upholding the highest level of accountability, reviewing or creating the design of flight components, reviewing or performing analysis, as well as supporting fabrication and testing of your team’s components. Designs will be optimized for our additive manufacturing methods, for which fundamental knowledge is crucial. You will also use your strong organizational skills to properly document your work and move forward with your recommendation when decisions are needed.
What you need to know:
- Undergraduate degree in engineering or related field
- 3+ years of technical leadership, hiring, and performance management experience
- Demonstrated ownership, accountability, and success in delivering complex products on time and budget with minimal guidance
- Fundamental knowledge of structures design, analysis, manufacturing, and testing
Nice to have but not required:
- 5+ years of technical leadership, hiring, and performance management experience
- Experience in a startup or fast pace development environment
- Strong problem solver with great organizational skills
- Experience with NX, Teamcenter, Ansys, and Femap
Relativity Space offers a competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend, and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.