RHEA Group is a growing international company, focusing on providing innovative, market-ready solutions and services in our key sectors of Space and Security for both commercial and institutional customers. We employ over 500 staff working across 10 different countries. We work with distinguished clients such as the European Space Agency, EUMETSAT, NATO, European Commission, Canadian Government and national space agencies.
We are currently looking for an Earth Observation Data System Manager to work at our client’s premises in the city of Darmstadt, Germany.
The key person will be part of the ESA Mission Operations Data Systems Division which specifies, develops, implements and maintains all common technical infrastructure and mission-dedicated data systems required for operations. This covers in particular mission control systems, mission planning systems, simulators, and new types of data processing systems as necessary.
The Division delivers these systems to the users and provides them with appropriate support during the various mission/project phases. The Division leads European harmonisation efforts in its domain of competences and manages the Directorate’s standardisation programme. The Division is responsible for exploiting commonalities across missions whenever possible and to provide services across the Directorate for software engineering tooling.
The Division is also responsible for the development and the maintenance of the infrastructure for the mission operations data systems in use at ESOC. This infrastructure is reused across multiple missions, lowering the total cost of ownership for ESOC for these facilities. This common infrastructure is reused by each mission to meet the majority of their requirements, leaving individual development teams to focus on minor adjustments or extensions to cover specific aspects.
Tasks and Activities
The scope of work will include:
- Development and Maintenance of Mission Data Systems
- Specification and management of Software Requirements.
- Contractual and technical work for the start of a new MDS project
- Running the MDS software development and maintenance projects.
- Support the Management and perform ESOC internal activities related to MDS (deployment, testing, configuration etc…) according to ESOC internal processes.
- Support to Mission’s critical activities
- Organisation of Software Support (SWS) on-site & environment preparation.
- Act as a role of Software Coordinator in the FCT.
- Support to missions during the whole lifetime
- Review of MIRD and contribution to MIP.
- Definition of external and internal interfaces.
- Contribution to the SFIRD, GSSRD, GSSTP and review of SGICD.
- Support to Ground Segment Reviews.
- Support to regular progress meetings with Project and ESOC team.
- Support SVT/SOVT/E2E tests and in general FCT activity.
- Support mission closure and retirement of SW and HW items.
- Support to 3rd Party and Special Projects
- Support the ESA service manager in defining the technical and organisational setup of ESA service, including SLA and costing.
- Interact with ESA external 3rd party entities (e.g. EUD, GSA, DLR, NASA, …) under agreement of TR.
- Support ESA from data systems perspective towards external entities, in particular to recommend agreement on technical and organisational interfaces.
- Coordinate the in-house and industrial data systems team.
- Interact with companies of new member states in preparation process for new activities.
- Assume the data system architect role for special projects which are not based on reference architecture of ground segments for missions (such as SSA, METERON, IAP).
- Contribute to bring OPS-GD and Data Systems perspective in collaborative projects with other ESA entities, in the context of special projects and future missions (e.g. NAV, TEC, HRE).
- Coordinate the in-house developments of MDS for small mission.
- Support to study, innovation and standardisation
- Prepare proposals.
- Run approved studies or innovation works.
- Organise and coordinate joint projects with other agencies in the context of standardisation (e.g. interoperability testing, prototyping).
- Support ESA as a member of international Standardisation working groups.
- Infrastructure and environment
- Automating CI/CD processes.
- Providing training in usage of CI/CD, container orchestration, and DevOps tools.
- Develop release approach using automated, containerized deployment techniques.
- Develop automation scripts, daemons, and APIs to reduce manual steps.
- Analyse root causes of issues and provide corrective actions.
- Evaluate new tools and techniques to drive efficiencies.
- Manage Cloud infrastructure services and accounts.
- Keep evolving system and application monitoring infrastructure.
- Support tasks at division level.
- Support Quality Management and actively contribute to improve ESOC internal processes and tools.
- Support to Infrastructure data systems activities.
Skills and Experience
The following skills and experience are mandatory:
- University degree (or equivalent) in software engineering.
- Knowledge of ESOC infrastructure (e.g. Scos-2000, SIMSAT, Egos MPS, EGS-CC) and operational environment.
- Knowledge of Spacecraft.
- Knowledge of Engineering and Quality Standards.
- Requirements management (knowledge of tools, e.g. doors).
- Test management (knowledge of tools, e.g. HPQC).
- Previous experience with development and maintenance of big software projects.
- Capability to work autonomously and at the same time be able to work effectively as part of a team.
- Very good interpersonal and communication and skills and an ability to apply these to establish and maintain good working relationships with Industry and FCT.
- Negotiation capabilities.
- Ability to capture the bigger picture and the system context.
- Capability of adapting to circumstances.
- Openness and reliability.
- Fluency in English, both written and spoken.About RHEA GroupWhen you work for RHEA, you will have the opportunity to work alongside some of the best talented minds and experts in our industries, either working at our clients sites on some of the most exciting space missions or on cutting-edge projects in security, concurrent design, data and ground systems within our own offices.To attract the best candidates, RHEA offers our employees competitive remuneration packages, unique career opportunities, individualised training and development programmes and local relocation support to take the stress out moving to another country or city. We are recruiting now. We understand your concerns during this period of a global pandemic and we will work with you, at your pace ensuring your questions are answered and maximum flexibility is offered.