Java Software Engineer
RHEA Group is an international leading Space and Security engineering organisation providing engineering services and customised technology solutions enabling the design, operation and utilisation of space systems and other critical infrastructure. We attract skilled engineers, scientists and management professionals worldwide; and offer a range of exciting career paths within our organisation and working alongside clients such as the UK Space Agency, the European Space Agency, the European GNSS Agency, NATO, the European Commission, EUMETSAT, etc.
Are you looking for a new opportunity in a fast-moving global company with a family feel? A job where you could have an impact?
We are looking for a Java Software Engineer to join our growing team based in Harwell, United Kingdom.
About the team
RHEA Group has over 30 years’ heritage in mission operations and ground system engineering for a wide variety of customers and mission types including earth observation, communications, scientific, navigation and space exploration. We specialize in supporting both new and established space companies to set up their operations infrastructure and/or to introduce new ground segment technologies to their environment.
Since the Harwell office opened in 2016, the local RHEA team has been working closely with clients including the UK Space Agency, ESA’s European Centre for Space Applications and Telecommunications (ECSAT), the UK Ministry of Defence (UK MoD), Astroscale and other space organizations. Here we are building our expertise in Earth observation/artificial intelligence (EO/AI), positioning, navigation and timing (PNT), launch, space situational awareness and cybersecurity activities. We are also project managing and providing engineering capabilities for Spaceport 1, the pioneering vertical launch site in North Uist, Scotland, and helping to develop the North East Space Cluster as part of the Government’s Levelling Up Agenda in line with the UK’s Space Strategy.
Tasks and Activities
The scope of work will include:
- Participating in the development of Ground Segment systems for current and future satellite missions for our customers in the UK and European space industry.
- Working on a range of challenging projects, developing systems used for the automated monitoring and control of spacecraft.
- Planning and coordinating ground segment development activities with the customer.
- Supporting in defining the required tasks and technical objectives.
- Taking responsibility for the definition, documentation, and satisfactory completion of the project.
- Acting as interface to the customers and product owners.
- Identifying, assessing, and managing risks to the success of the project.
- Ensuring that realistic project and quality plans are prepared and maintained and provides regular and accurate reports to stakeholders.
- Communicating and coordinating project activities with the project team (RHEA staff, partners, subcontractors) and ensuring that priorities are developed and known.
- Ensuring Quality reviews occur on schedule and according to procedure.
- Ensuring that project deliverables are completed within planned cost, timescale.
- Contributing background skills, knowledge and experience towards the project completion.
Skills and Experience
The following skills and experience are mandatory:
- University degree in Computer Sciences, Software Engineering or equivalent industrial experience.
- At least three years of experience working in a Java Software Development environment.
- Demonstrated experience working in managing complex projects and technical teams.
- Good understanding of software development technologies and architectures.
- Sufficient technical skills to actively participate in technical discussions with the project team and to enable a solution driven process.
- Strong knowledge of technical document writing, notably user requirements, design documentation, and test documentation.
- An agile and flexible attitude to work.
- Rapid self-starting capabilities and experience in team working.
- Excellent communication skills, fluent in English, both written and spoken.
- Good planner and able to follow more than one subject at a time.
- Dynamic and proactive attitude, with a strong commitment to the ongoing development and quality of the RHEA products.
Why should you apply?
- You will have the opportunity to work within a major institution.
- We encourage everyone to think outside the box and to push the boundaries of traditional knowledge. This role is an opportunity to join a forward-thinking company and allows for a deeper understanding of the industry.
- Benefits include: competitive remuneration packages; unique career opportunities, including working in other countries; personalized training and development programmes; flexible relocation support.
We welcome applications from people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, all genders, LGBTQ+ individuals and ex-service personnel.