RHEA Group is an international leading Space and Security engineering organisation providing engineering services and customised technology solutions enabling the design, operation and utilisation of space systems and other critical infrastructure. We attract skilled engineers, scientists and management professionals worldwide; and offer a range of exciting career paths within our organisation and working alongside clients such as the UK Space Agency, the European Space Agency, the European GNSS Agency, NATO, the European Commission, EUMETSAT, etc.
RHEA Group is a growing international company, focusing on providing innovative, market-ready solutions and services in our key sectors of Space and Security for both commercial and institutional customers. We employ over 500 staff working across 10 different countries. We work with distinguished clients such as the European Space Agency, EUMETSAT, NATO, European Commission, Canadian Government and national space agencies.
When you work for RHEA, you will have the opportunity to work alongside some of the best talented minds and experts in our industries, either working at our clients sites on some of the most exciting space missions or on cutting-edge projects in security, concurrent design, data and ground systems within our own offices.
To attract the best candidates, RHEA offers our employees competitive remuneration packages, unique career opportunities, individualised training and development programmes and local relocation support to take the stress out moving to another country or city. We are recruiting now. We understand your concerns during this period of a global pandemic and we will work with you, at your pace ensuring your questions are answered and maximum flexibility is offered.
We are currently looking for a Data Systems Manager to work in the beautiful city of Darmstadt, Germany.
The DSM services relate to Mission Data Systems (MDS), which include Mission Control System, Mission Planning System, Operational Simulators, Service Provision Data Centre and Advanced Software Applications.
Tasks and Activities
Development and Maintenance of Mission Data Systems
- Specification and management of Software Requirements
- Contractual and technical work for the start of a new MDS project
- Running the MDS software development and maintenance projects
- Support the Management and perform ESOC internal activities related to MDS (deployment, testing, configuration etc…) according to ESOC internal processes.
Support to Mission’s critical activities
- Organisation of Software Support (SWS) on-site & environment preparation
- Act as a role of Software Coordinator in the FCT
Support to missions during the whole lifetime
- Review of MIRD and contribution to MIP
- Definition of external and internal interfaces
- Contribution to the SFIRD, GSSRD, GSSTP and review of SGICD
- Support to Ground Segment Reviews
- Support to regular progress meetings with Project and ESOC team
- Support SVT/SOVT/E2E tests and in general FCT activity
- Support mission closure and retirement of SW and HW items
Support to 3rd Party and Special Projects
- Support the ESA service manager in defining the technical and organisational setup of ESA service, including SLA and costing
- Interact with ESA external 3rd party entities (e.g. EUD, GSA, DLR, NASA, …) under agreement of TR
- Support ESA from data systems perspective towards external entities, in particular to recommend agreement on technical and organisational interfaces
- Coordinate the in-house and industrial data systems team
- Interact with companies of new member states in preparation process for new activities
- Assume the data system architect role for special projects which are not based on reference architecture of ground segments for missions (such as S2P, METERON, IAP)
- Contribute to bring OPS-GD and Data Systems perspective in collaborative projects with other ESA entities, in the context of special projects and future missions (e.g. NAV, TEC, HRE)
- Coordinate the in-house developments of MDS for small missions
Support to study, innovation and standardisation
- Prepare proposals
- Run approved studies or innovation works
- Organise and coordinate joint projects with other agencies in the context of standardisation (e.g. interoperability testing, prototyping)
- Support ESA as a member of international Standardisation working groups
Infrastructure and environment
- Automating CI/CD processes
- Providing training in usage of CI/CD, container orchestration, and DevOps tools.
- Develop release approach using automated, containerized deployment techniques
- Develop automation scripts, daemons, and APIs to reduce manual steps
- Analyse root causes of issues and provide corrective actions.
- Evaluate new tools and techniques to drive efficiencies.
- Manage Cloud infrastructure services and accounts.
- Keep evolving system and application monitoring infrastructure
- Support tasks at division level
- Support Quality Management and actively contribute to improve ESOC internal processes and tools.
- Support to Infrastructure data systems activities
Skills and Experience
- University in the relevant domain
- Information sharing within the different MDS stakeholders
- Cooperation with project team members
- Ability to capture the bigger picture and the system context
- Communication skills
- Capability of adapting to circumstances
- Openness and reliability
- Independence in working on own tasks
- Negotiation capabilities
- Ability to interface with several different areas/people in ESOC
- Capability to establish and maintain good working relationships with Industry and FCT
- Project management
- Software engineering
- Experience with development and maintenance of big software projects
- Requirements management (knowledge of tools, e.g. doors)
- Test management (knowledge of tools, e.g. HPQC)
- Knowledge of ESOC infrastructure (e.g. Scos-2000, SIMSAT, Egos MPS, EGS-CC)
- Knowledge of ESOC operational environment
- Knowledge of Spacecraft (especially for the SIM)
- Knowledge of Standards (Engineering and Quality)
- Awareness of the technology trends and interest in R&T
- Familiarity with MDS lifecycle