Engineering the World With You
We are looking for multiple Spacecraft Operations Engineers to work for ESA’s Cluster Mission at ESOC’s premises in Darmstadt, Germany.
Within the area of Spacecraft Operations Engineer, we are looking to find skilled individuals to work in the following areas: Platform System Operations Engineering Support, Payload (including Payload Management) Operations Engineering Support, Power-Thermal-RF Operations Engineering Support and Ground data systems operations support.
The ideal candidates will be based in Darmstadt, Germany, with occasional travel required for the role within Europe.
Tasks and Activities
The scope of work will include:
Operations Supervision, including:
- Providing an on-call presence whilst helping to troubleshoot problems during pass conduction, restoring spacecraft to Nominal Operation, detecting and fixing known anomalies (OOL/CEL…), assisting in data gap recovery, Pass reporting, and inputs to regular reporting.
- Execution of recovery actions as decided during Anomaly Management.
Tool and FOP maintenance, including:
- Maintaining/upgrading MPS rules, Automation scripts, OBCPs, mission models, etc.
- Coordinating with other missions to maintain maximum commonality.
- Maintaining/modifying FOP procedures, MIB database in response to operations changes.
Anomaly Management, including:
- Organizing MRB/ARB, performing investigations (determining sequence of events and cause) and plan recovery or adaptation of operations.
- Coordinating management of AR with the ESA PA representative.
Manage ground systems maintenance and evolution, including:
- Defining the strategy and high-level planning for ground segment evolution in flight, including coordination of SW upgrades, HW procurement, System tests planning and conduction.
- Defining/planning systems evolution and migration needs.
- Validation and deployment of ground system updates, including testing and validation of patch deliveries.
- Managing internal interfaces including daily operational coordination with Fdyn, ESTRACK, SWS, ICT, Space Debris, station usage planning, Fdyn requirements for Radiometry, data exchange interfaces, etc.
- Mission planning including executing the different MP processes: LTP, MTP, STP, VSTP, etc. and generating the corresponding products.
Overall operations management, including:
- Team management, recruiting, training and coaching, certification, shift or on-call planning, vacation and sick leave coordination, and appraisal.
- Consolidating and issuing regular (e.g., weekly, monthly, etc.) operations reports.
- Spacecraft performance analysis, including the setup of tools and processes for regular generation of spacecraft performance reports and trend analysis, as well as periodic generation of the corresponding technical reports.
Skills and Experience
The following skills and experience are mandatory:
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in a relevant area, such as Engineering or Physics.
- Experience in one or more of the following areas:Proven expertise in FCT related tasks (e.g. FOP preparation and validation database management).
- A robust understanding of MOC main components.
- Proven experience with S2K based MCS (preferably SCOS1) and MOIS.
- Proven experience with ESOC external interfaces and Mission Planning cycle.
- Experience with system level tasks and system minded altitude.
- Some expertise in the area of Thermal/Power/RF.