RHEA Group is an international leading Space and Security engineering organisation providing engineering services and customised technology solutions enabling the design, operation and utilisation of space systems and other critical infrastructure. We attract skilled engineers, scientists and management professionals worldwide; and offer a range of exciting career paths within our organisation and working alongside clients such as the UK Space Agency, the European Space Agency, the European GNSS Agency, NATO, the European Commission, EUMETSAT, etc.
Are you looking for a new opportunity in a fast-moving global company with a family feel? A job where you could have an impact?
On behalf of ESA, we are looking for a Micro-Electronics Engineer to work at ESTEC’s premises in the city of Noordwijk, The Netherlands.
Tasks and Activities
The scope of work will include:
- Providing VLSI (ASIC & FPGA) technical expertise to Projects involving requirements analysis, performance and budgets analysis, writing and assessment of VLSI specifications.
- Reviewing, evaluating and checking of industrial contractor’s VLSI designs.
- Identifying design deficiencies and problem areas and proposals for their solutions.
- Designing, analyzing and verifying VLSI systems for control and data processing applications, and/or signal processing using industrial standard tools, hardware description and programming languages.
- Supporting the technical and administrative management of the ESA SystemC and synthesizable VHDL IP Core pool of designs. This work will involve:
- The optimisation, update and overall maintenance and of the ESA VHDL IP Cores databases.
- Provision of technical support to ESA IP Cores users (performing analysis and finding solutions to problems in VHDL code, documentation or design methodology) holding a strong collaboration with our Contracts department in arranging and solving licences and patent issues.
- Advertising the ESA IP service (website, workshops, etc.), handling IP cores requests and their distribution.
- Supporting ASIC and/or FPGA technology developments for R&D and /or projects, supervising that good design practices and manufacturing and test methodologies are applied. In addition, independent verification (through code inspection, simulation and timing analysis) and validation (through HW tests) will have to be carried out for some ASIC and FPGAS developments.
- Occasional support to the development of contracts regarding the above areas, acting as the activity technical responsible, maintaining interfaces with the prime contractors, participating in progress meetings and reviews, as requested and providing appropriate feedback on the achieved progress and discussions.
- When supporting projects, interfacing with ESA’s project teams, the prime and lower-level contractors, participating in progress meetings and reviews, as requested by project work and providing appropriate feedback on the achieved progress and discussions.
Skills and Experience
The following skills and experience are mandatory:
- A Master’s degree in Electronics Engineering or Physics, specialized in analog/mixed-signal/RF microelectronics, with five or more years of experience in at least three of the following domains:
- Transceiver (RFIC) integrated circuit blocks; low noise amplifiers, power output stages, up/down conversion stages, filters, limiters, voltage/digital controlled oscillators, charge-pump, fractional and digital phase locked loops.
- Transceiver optical/photonic (PIC) integrated electronic circuit blocks related to semiconductor photonic microelectronics; trans-impedance amplifiers, samplers, clock and data recovery, continuous-time linear equalizers, (de)modulators, phase locked loops.
- Mixed-signal circuit design, simulations and layout with Cadence Virtuoso, Spectre, SpectreRF, Mentor/Siemens EDA Calibre or equivalent tools.
- Electromagnetic simulation with Keysight ADS and/or Ansys HFSS or equivalent tools for package and PCB signal insertion/return loss, integrity, electro-magnetic interference/cross-talk/isolation optimization.
- Transceiver IC electrical functional, performance and environmental testing.
- A good working knowledge of English, both written and spoken.
The following skills and experience would be highly desirable:
- Experience package design tools such as Cadence APD/SiP or equivalent for QFN, CSP and/or SiP packages.
- Experience with spectrum and vector network analysers for measurement of IC/package/PCB s-parameters, linearity (P1dB, HD, IMD, IIP2/3, EVM, ACPR), noise figure, resonance measurements/characterization for high-speed interface performance validation, model extraction for frequency/time domain electrical simulations.
- Knowledge of deep submicron SiGe BiCMOS and FinFET technologies.
- Knowledge of standards for wireline physical layer of OIF CEI, Ethernet IEEE 802.3, PCIe.
- Knowledge of semiconductor photonic microelectronics.
- Knowledge of standards for wireless physical layer of IEEE 802.15(a) and/or 802.11.
- Knowledge of high-speed optoelectronic devices (e.g., lasers, detectors, modulators), coherent transmission.
- Experience with VHDL-AMS, Verilog-AMS mixed-signal hardware description language.
- Experience in development, licensing and re-use of Intellectual Property (IP) cores.
- Knowledge of quality standards ESCC and ECSS applicable to VLSI ICs for space.
- Knowledge of the space environment and its effects on microelectronics devices and radiation effect mitigation techniques.
- Good interpersonal communication skills and high motivation to work in a multi-disciplinary and international environment with confidence and autonomy.
- A working knowledge of another official ESA language, written and spoken.
Why should you apply?
- You will have the opportunity to work within a major institution.
- We encourage everyone to think outside the box and to push the boundaries of traditional knowledge. This role is an opportunity to join a forward-thinking company and allows for a deeper understanding of the industry.
- Benefits include: competitive remuneration packages; unique career opportunities, including working in other countries; personalized training and development programmes; flexible relocation support.
We welcome applications from people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, all genders, LGBTQ+ individuals and ex-service personnel.