On-Board Computer and Data Systems Engineer
RHEA Group is an international leading Space and Security engineering organisation providing engineering services and customised technology solutions enabling the design, operation and utilisation of space systems and other critical infrastructure. We attract skilled engineers, scientists and management professionals worldwide; and offer a range of exciting career paths within our organisation and working alongside clients such as the UK Space Agency, the European Space Agency, the European GNSS Agency, NATO, the European Commission, EUMETSAT, etc.
Are you looking for a new opportunity in a fast-moving global company with a family feel? A job where you could have an impact?
On behalf of ESA, we are looking for an On-Board Computer and Data Systems Engineer to work at ESTEC’s premises in Noordwijk, The Netherlands.
In this role you will be a key member of the The On-Board Computer & Data Handling Section and will report to the head of the Section.
About the Section
The On-Board Computer & Data Handling Section provides functional support to ESA projects and carries out technological research (R&D) on turn-key on-board HW Data Handling solutions with an emphasis on:
- Platform and payload data handling architectures and their building blocks (equipment/units, modules and key components).
- Units such as on-board computers, mass memories, remote terminals, instrument control units*.
- Digital and analogue signal processing electronics for payload/platform control functions.
- Front-end acquisition and processing chain electronics*.
- On-board data transfer interfaces, buses and associated protocols (high and low speed).
- Platform data handling functions related to security, data authentication, encryption, compression, machine learning and artificial intelligence.
- Use of microelectronics devices.
*except for RF payloads.
Tasks and Activities
The scope of work will include:
- Providing technical support to ESA projects, programmes and general studies in the field of platform and payload data handling systems throughout all project phases.
- Participating in feasibility studies, project reviews and the evaluation of procurement proposals.
- Identifying critical development problems and assisting in their resolution.
- Contributing to the definition of technology development requirements and work plans for the Agency’s technology programmes.
- Defining, initiating and supporting R&D activities covering both long and short-term needs.
- Fostering new application areas for multidisciplinary activities, with an emphasis on innovative concepts, cutting-edge technologies and system architectures.
- Laboratory activities, as required.
- Monitoring applicable scientific and technological trends and maintaining state-of-the-art expertise.
- Contributing to the dissemination of the results of the activities performed and the transfer of knowledge across the Agency.
Skills and Experience
The following skills and experience are mandatory:
- Master’s degree or PhD in electronics, networks, telecommunications or a related field is required.
- At least five years of professional experience in the fields of space hardware related to platform and payload data handling equipment (units, modules and boards). This includes the ability to design, review and simulate analogue and digital electronics for data handling units (use of FPGA/processors/micro-controllers, single-point-failure-free circuitry, failure containment techniques and use of COTS with radiation mitigation techniques).
The following skills and experience would be highly desirable:
- Knowledge in the following fields:
- Design and Use of Data Handling Electrical Ground Support Equipment (EGSE).
- Design, validation and verification of AI/ML Processing Algorithm inferred on HW/SW platform(s).
- Design of electronic boards for radiation testing of analogue and digital circuitry based on COTS.
Why should you apply?
- You will have the opportunity to work within a major institution.
- We encourage everyone to think outside the box and to push the boundaries of traditional knowledge. This role is an opportunity to join a forward-thinking company and allows for a deeper understanding of the industry.
- Benefits include: competitive remuneration packages; unique career opportunities, including working in other countries; personalized training and development programmes; flexible relocation support.
We welcome applications from people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, all genders, LGBTQ+ individuals and ex-service personnel.