Engineering the World With You
You have a Master’s Degree in Computer Sciences, IT (or similar domain), a few months of work experience in Software Development/Engineering, and you always dreamed to work in an unique environment like the Space sector?
Willing to learn a lot, within a team of Space Software experts?
You could have the opportunity to integrate and support the software engineering service that supports the development and maintenance of the Science Archives at the ESDC (ESAC Science Data Centre), of the European Space Agency. Our team is located in the ESAC facilities, in Madrid area (Spain).
Tasks and Activities
The scope of work will include:
- Contribute to the design, development, deployment, operations and maintenance of any of the ESDC Science Archives and Virtual Observatory (VO) subsystems:Support the analysis of user requirements and work on the design and modelling of archive databases and archive data models.
- Archive Data products repositories and Databases (including DB administrative tasks).
- Archive Data ingestion and metadata extraction systems.
- Archive application servers and middle tier services.
- Archive Web applications.
- Archive Data distribution systems.
- Archive interoperability systems, or programmatic access, supported by VO standards.
- Archive administration services (monitoring, statistics, reporting, user management…).
- Archive data products on-line visualization (images, spectra) and analysis services.
- VO tools and services.
- Integration in and across all the ESDC archives of common infrastructure, tools and science data visualization, enabling the maximum exploitation of the data.
- Software configuration control activities associated with archive development.
- Unit and system tests associated with archive development.
- Contribute to prepare and maintain necessary documentation following engineering standards as ECSS.
- Participation to working groups, workshops, conferences and meetings where science archives and virtual observatory standards and practices are discussed.
- Provide technical support to archives and VO services usage
- Interactions with general international community of astronomers/users via workshops and the helpdesk.
- Interactions with ESA partners (such as Canadian and NASA teams, JAXA,…).
Skills and Experience
The following skills and experience are mandatory:
- Master’s Degree in Computer Sciences, IT, or similar domains.
- First experience as software developer/software engineer (internship also considered).
- Knowledge in Web technologies (http, apache, tomcat, Web services…).
- Knowledge in relational databases (principally PostgreSQL) and DB management software.
- Knowledge in SQL and XML.
- Fluency in English, both written and spoken.
The following skills and experience would be highly desirable:
- Understanding of Unit Integration, System and End to End testing (such as Junit, Jasmine, Cucumber, Selenium, Cypress).
- First experience in Agile software development and continuous integration.
- Experience in Virtual Observatory standards and protocols, working groups, working processes and environment.
- Experience in Google Web Toolkit or Vaadin.
- Experience in Python and Jupyter Notebooks/JupyterLabs.
- Experience in Dockers.
- Experience in Geographical Information System (GIS).