RHEA Group is a growing international company, focusing on providing innovative, market-ready solutions and services in our key sectors of Space and Security for both commercial and institutional customers. We have over 650 staff working across 11 different countries. We work with distinguished clients such as the European Space Agency, EUMETSAT, NATO, European Commission, Canadian Government and national space agencies.
The ESA Climate Office acts as the focal point for ESA’s climate-related activities and represents ESA’s and its Member States’ climate-related interests on several international organisations and working groups and is an observer to Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) since 2019.
In March 2021, ESA and the World Meteorological Organisation (WMO) signed an agreement concerning WCRP’s CMIP-IPO.
The World Climate Research Programme (WCRP), is jointly sponsored by the World Meteorological Organisation (WMO), the International Science Council (ISC) and the Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (IOC) of UNESCO.
The Coupled–Model Intercomparison Project (CMIP) provides the focal point for leading national and international entities in climate modelling and is the main resource for the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) assessment of climate projections. Moreover, CMIP is a major user of EO-based climate observations for model development, assimilation and evaluation.
In hosting the CMIP International Project Office ESA confirms its long-term strategic vision into supporting climate science and demonstrating European leadership in climate modelling. It will provide substantial benefits to ESA’s current and future climate activities, by strengthening the use of EO-based climate observations by the climate modelling community.
RHEA is currently looking for an experienced Programme Manager to work in close coordination with the CMIP-IPO Director.
Tasks and Activities
The scope of work will include:
- Facilitating active liaison between the climate observations and modelling communities, with a focus on strengthening the connections, cooperation and coordination between models and observations, organising relevant meetings and conferences.
- Support the organisation of the activities of the CMIP panel and the WIP, being in regular contact with their respective chairs.
- Contribute to CMIP international meetings (for instance the WCRP JSC-meetings, strategy/implementation workshops and task teams), events and to partner/sponsoring organizations.
- Work closely with Working Group on Climate Modelling (WGCM), WGCM Infrastructure Panel (WIP), CMIP-panel, providing scientific, technical and administrative support.
- Assisting the cooperation between CMIP and other relevant international programmes and activities, including contacts and interaction with Climate Services.
- Supporting coordination, planning, development and implementation of the CMIP experimental design, data archiving and dissemination, and associated observational, reanalysis, forcings, scenarios and modelling efforts.
Skills and Experience
The following skills would be mandatory:
- PhD in physics or Earth science, or any other appropriate scientific field, with at least 3 years of relevant work experience.
- Background in climate science.
- Expertise in working in an international environment.
- Demonstrated scientific and technical experience with CMIP.
- Excellent negotiation, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Proficiency in English, both written and spoken.
About RHEA Group
When you work for RHEA, you will have the opportunity to work alongside some of the best talented minds and experts in our industries, either working at our clients sites on some of the most exciting space missions or on cutting-edge projects in security, concurrent design, data and ground systems within our own offices.
To attract the best candidates, RHEA offers our employees competitive remuneration packages, unique career opportunities, individualised training and development programmes and local relocation support to take the stress out moving to another country or city. We are recruiting now. We understand your concerns during this period of a global pandemic and we will work with you, at your pace ensuring your questions are answered and maximum flexibility is offered.