RHEA Group is a growing international company, focusing on providing innovative, market-ready solutions and services in our key sectors of Space and Security for both commercial and institutional customers. We employ over 500 staff working across 10 different countries. We work with distinguished clients such as the European Space Agency, EUMETSAT, NATO, European Commission, Canadian Government and national space agencies.
The ESA Climate Office acts as the focal point for ESA’s climate-related activities and represents ESA’s and its Member States’ climate-related interests on several international organisations and working groups and is an observer to Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) since 2019.
In March 2021, ESA and the World Meteorological Organisation (WMO) signed an agreement concerning WCRP’s CMIP-IPO.
The World Climate Research Programme (WCRP), is jointly sponsored by the World Meteorological Organisation (WMO), the International Science Council (ISC) and the Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (IOC) of UNESCO.
The Coupled–Model Intercomparison Project (CMIP) provides the focal point for leading national and international entities in climate modelling and is the main resource for the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) assessment of climate projections. Moreover, CMIP is a major user of EO-based climate observations for model development, assimilation and evaluation.
In hosting the CMIP International Project Office ESA confirms its long-term strategic vision into supporting climate science and demonstrating European leadership in climate modelling. It will provide substantial benefits to ESA’s current and future climate activities, by strengthening the use of EO-based climate observations by the climate modelling community.
RHEA is currently looking for the CMIP-IPO Director to lead the CMIP-IPO, developing and implementing its work plan. The key person will work in close coordination with the WCRP Joint Scientific Committee (JSC), the Head of the WCRP Secretariat and the Head of the ESA Climate Office.
Tasks and Activities
The scope of work will include:
- Ensure that the CMIP-IPO fulfils its terms of reference under the overall guidance of CMIP governing bodies and in consultation with the WCRP Secretariat.
- Be responsible for the management of the CMIP-IPO activities and office staff.
- Attend the sessions of CMIP governing bodies and other meetings and represents CMIP at relevant national and international meetings.
- Ensure that the budget is used at the discretion of CMIP leadership in compliance with ESA legal framework, in particular its financial rules and regulations and WMO regulations and auditing as appropriate.
- Mobilize financial and in-kind resources from various sources to cover CMIP activities and additional CMIP-IPO staff. The Director is responsible for administering and managing such resources.
- Be responsible for the recruitment of CMIP-IPO staff according to the applicable legal framework, as part of the service contract’s second phase.
Skills and Experience
The following skills would be mandatory:
- PhD in physics or Earth science, or any other appropriate scientific field, with at least 10 years of relevant work experience
- Track record in climate research and modelling. Candidates with not sufficient experience in climate modelling will not be considered.
- Experience in climate science management.
- Expertise in setting up and developing an international project office to support and advance the governance, infrastructure and outcome of CMIP.
- Experience in working with international organisations within the climate network.
- Experience in leading large international projects and teams.
- Experience in attracting additional funding from various sources.
- Excellent negotiation, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Proficiency in English, both written and spoken.