As part of a small, passionate, and accomplished team of experts, you will be responsible for developing new rocket engine integration and assembly processes. As a Manufacturing Engineer, you will translate engineering intent, drawings, and configurations into fully functional hardware ready for test, qualification, and flight. Throughout the manufacturing process, you will also identify, develop, and deploy methods to improve quality, reduce cost, and optimize build sequence and schedules. As an integral member of the team, you will conduct DFMA and PFMEA studies to strengthen the feedback loop between design, build, and test and accelerate the pace of rocket engine development. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your dedicated commitment and detailed attention towards safe and repeatable human spaceflight.
- Develop new rocket engine integration and assembly processes
- Translate engineering intent, drawings, and configurations into fully functional hardware by developing manufacturing work instructions to clearly define the following manufacturing processes: receiving inspection, fabrication, assembly, test, integration, and refurbishment
- Closely manage build sequence, cost, quality and schedule of hardware on a daily basis throughout the entire manufacturing process
- When non-conformances and escapes are identified, deploy recovery strategies, perform root cause analyses and manage corrective actions
- Manage hardware configuration and maintain pedigree throughout the entire build and test process
- Conduct pre-ship reviews for major sub-assemblies and engines prior to movement between work centers and facilities, and hold post-ship debriefs to capture lessons learned
- Define how to prepare hardware for test, qualification, and flight
- Identify, develop, and deploy new manufacturing methods (or refine existing) to improve quality, reduce cost, and optimize build schedule
- Conduct DFMA and PFMEA studies to strengthen the feedback loop between design, build, and test
- Perform engineering drawing reviews and provide final approval for manufacturing
- Develop process control measures and evaluate through statistical analysis
- Interface with external suppliers and manufacturing partners to ensure that hardware and equipment is manufactured, processed, packaged, and delivered properly, on time, and on budget
- Support company-wide initiatives and long-term business goals
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical, Manufacturing, Industrial or Aerospace Engineering (other relevant fields may apply) from an accredited university (Master of Science preferred)
- Cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.5 or higher (on 4.0 scale)
- 5+ years of direct engine assembly and integration experience including instrumentation, cleaning, non-destructive testing, leak testing, final acceptance testing of integrated hardware, fabrication, machining, etc.
- Mastery of engineering fundamentals for mechanical design and manufacturing
- Proven experience and successful track record developing/starting new manufacturing processes
- Strong intuition and judgement when faced with ambiguity and the need to make high velocity decisions
- Strong written, personal, technical, and software skills (CAD, Scheduling, Issue Tracking, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc)
- Ability to communicate clearly and appropriately at all levels of the organization
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Blue Origin offers a phenomenal work environment and awesome culture with competitive compensation, benefits, 401K, and relocation.
Blue Origin is an equal opportunity employer. In addition to EEO being the law, it is a policy that is fully consistent with Blue’s principles. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to status as a protected veteran or a qualified individual with a disability, or other protected status such as race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, pregnancy or age. Blue Origin prohibits any form of workplace harassment.