Blue Origin is empowered by a vision where millions of people are living and working in space. To achieve our vision, we are developing reusable rocket engines and launch vehicles that will dramatically lower the cost of access to space. Driven by our motto, Gradatim Ferociter or “step by step, ferociously,” our incremental approach builds upon each success as we develop ground-breaking spaceflight systems. We don’t just build rockets—we build a culture around methodical innovation and exploration.
As part of a small, passionate, and accomplished team of experts, you will be responsible for manufacturing efforts throughout all stages of the product lifecycle pertaining to the development and production of Rocket Engine Valves. As a Valve Manufacturing Engineer, you will translate engineering intent, drawings, and configurations into fully functional valve hardware ready for test, qualification, and flight. Throughout the manufacturing process, you will also identify, develop, and deploy methods to improve quality, reduce cost, and optimize valve build sequences and schedules. As an integral member of the team, you will conduct DFMA and PFMEA studies to strengthen the feedback loop between design, build, and test to accelerate the pace of rocket engine development. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your dedicated commitment and detailed attention towards safe and repeatable human spaceflight.
- Identify, develop, and deploy new valve manufacturing methods (or refine existing) to improve quality, reduce cost, and optimize build schedule
- Translate engineering intent, drawings, and configurations into fully functional pneumatic and hydraulic valve hardware
- Develop manufacturing work instructions to clearly define the following manufacturing process: receiving inspection, assembly, test (hydraulic, pneumatic, and cryo), integration, and refurbishment
- Closely manage cost, quality, build sequence, and schedule of valve hardware throughout the entire manufacturing process
- Define how to prepare hardware for test, qualification, and flight
- Conduct DFMA and PFMEA studies to strengthen the feedback loop between design, build, and test
- Perform engineering drawing review and provide final approval for valve manufacturing
- Develop process control measures and evaluation through statistical analysis
- Define and support repair and rework activities
- Design, procure, install, and integrate custom manufacturing equipment
- Interface with external suppliers and manufacturing partners to ensure that hardware and equipment is manufactured, processed, packaged, and delivered properly, on time, and on budget
- Perform capacity analysis and evaluate staffing requirements
- Perform root cause analyses when non-conformances and escapes are identified and deploy corrective actions
- Manage hardware configuration and maintain pedigree throughout the entire build and test process
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical, Manufacturing, or Aerospace Engineering (other relevant fields may apply) from an accredited university (Master of Science preferred)
- 8+ years of direct valve manufacturing and manufacturing engineering experience
- Extensive experience with valve component manufacturing, assembly, and test (hydraulic, pneumatic, and cryo)
- Mastery of engineering fundamentals for mechanical design and manufacturing
- Experience in hardware manufacturing and product assembly (relevant industries include: aerospace, medical devices, oil and gas operations, electrical equipment, or automotive)
- Strong aptitude for mechanical system design and hands-on fabrication experience
- Strong written, personal, technical, and software skills (CAD, Scheduling, Issue Tracking, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc)
- Ability to communicate clearly and appropriately at all levels of the organization
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Blue Origin offers a phenomenal work environment and awesome culture with competitive compensation, benefits, 401K, and relocation.
Blue Origin is an equal opportunity employer. In addition to EEO being the law, it is a policy that is fully consistent with Blue’s principles. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to status as a protected veteran or a qualified individual with a disability, or other protected status such as race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, pregnancy or age. Blue Origin prohibits any form of workplace harassment.