The flight safety analysis team is responsible for ensuring safety during launch and performs huge amounts of simulations in order to characterize nominal and off-nominal vehicle performance.
As part of the team, you will use your engineering skills to help us optimize our processes, develop our simulation methodology, and improve automated reporting in order to support launch operations.
We’re looking for someone with a strong background in python programming, with a thorough analytical approach. Experience in parallel programming and large data sets would be a great boost for the team as we work to increase our launch frequency.
- Develop flight safety analysis methods and assumptions and ensure that they are up-to-date with regulatory requirements
- Development and maintenance of in-house flight safety tools including but not limited to launch vehicle trajectory and performance evaluation, debris modeling, re-entry analysis, overpressure, failure probability, and mission risk
- Development and execution of 6 DoF and 3 DoF simulations
- Development of statistical models to quantify failure probabilities
- Handling, processing, and analysis of large data sets
- Prepare flight safety data packages and safety documentation
- Automation of analysis tools
- Build flight safety displays for launch operators
- Support on-console launch operations
Minimum Requirements for the Flight Safety Analyst:
- Bachelor or Masters in Software engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or similar.
- 2+ years experience developing in python
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to build strong working relationships
- Experience with Git version control
- Parallel computing and software design for efficiency
- The ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Experience with continuous integration and software testing
- Experience developing numerical simulations for physical systems such as for aerodynamic studies.
- Familiarity with LaTeX
- GUI development
- Good understanding of basic physics