Rocket Lab is redefining how we access SPACE. The satellites of today are getting smaller, doing more and costing less � and thousands of them need to get on orbit. Small satellites have been promised frequent, reliable and affordable dedicated launch for decades. Rocket Lab is delivering on this with a tailored, responsive launch service operating right now.
About Rocket Lab
Rocket Lab is the global leader in small satellite launch. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. There are endless possibilities for what we can achieve with better access to space, and that access is now a reality thanks to Rocket Lab. Our team is 500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action-oriented.
While other companies talk about it, we do it!
About the Role
Integrated Operations is the Rocket Lab organization responsible for integrated testing, launch, and mission operations for Electron launch vehicles and Photon spacecraft starting with stack testing through pre-launch processing, launch operations, on-orbit operations, and mission disposal. Integrated Operations is also responsible for configuration, checkout, and operation of related facilities, equipment, and infrastructure.
Engineer – Integrated Operations (Mechanical Systems)
As an Engineer in the Integrated Operations Team you will focus on testing and operations requiring technical expertise in mechanical systems on launch vehicles, spacecraft, test facilities, and launch sites including structures, mechanisms, propulsion, pressurization, hydraulics, pneumatics, HVAC, instrumentation, and related monitoring, command & control systems.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Define test and operational requirements
- Define Concept of Operations (CONOPs) flow for testing and operations
- Develop, coordinate, and execute plans and procedures to efficiently, effectively, and safely conduct testing, launch, and mission operations
- Plan, schedule, and conduct test and operations to meet program schedules
- Develop, review, maintain, and improve test and operations procedures
- Lead and conduct testing and operations activities in accordance with established practices and procedures
- Lead and conduct test and operations on-console (while maintaining situational awareness and real-time communications throughout test and operations activities)
- Ensure that testing and operations preserve the quality and integrity of critical flight hardware
- Perform post-test and post-flight data review and analyses
- Perform real-time troubleshooting to resolve test and operations issues
- Work to continually improve and streamline integration, testing, and operations
- Optimize and automate checkout, processing, testing, and operations
- Contribute to and take ownership and accountability for Integrated Operations process improvement efforts
- Develop and drive common processes and tools across Integrated Operations
- Define, develop, and implement solutions to support increasing operational cadence
- Ensure health and safety policies and standard operating procedures are followed
- Domestic and international travel may be required
Skills & Expertise – Essential
- Aerospace, mechanical, electrical, mechatronic engineering degree or equivalent
- 3+ years of experience in engineering design, test and/or operations
- Self-driven, motivated, and contagiously positive
- Proven communication skills and the ability to build strong working relationships
- Careful work ethic with an eye for detail
- Ability to work under pressure and to strict deadlines
Skills & Expertise – Desirable
- 5+ years of experience in engineering design, test and/or operations
- Experience working with launch vehicles or spacecraft including integration, testing, launch, and/or mission operations
- Experience with Java, Python, or other object-oriented programming language
- Experience with LabVIEW and PLC development for data acquisition & real-time control
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States’ International Traffic in Arms Regulations. Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality.
JOB REF: 3172889