We go to space to improve life on Earth
Rocket Lab is the global leader in small satellite launch. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. There are endless possibilities for what we can achieve with better access to space, and that access is now a reality thanks to Rocket Lab. Our team is 500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action oriented.
About the role
Working within the Safety and Mission Assurance team you will be responsible for ensuring the safe and reliable design of Rocket Lab engineering products including launch vehicles, spacecraft, and ground support systems.
The role involves working closely with multidisciplinary teams across mechanical, electrical, software and systems engineering to identify and assess hazards by performing the appropriate safety and reliability analyses such as preliminary hazard listing and analysis (PHL/PHA), HAZOPs, fault tree analysis, event tree analysis, zonal analysis and FMECAs. You will ensure identified hazards are assessed and tracked in the product hazard log.
You will be responsible for the creation and maintenance of system safety files. You will ensure they are technically accurate and that they clearly and concisely document the safety argument and supporting evidence to aid regulator review.
This role would suit systems safety, reliability, RAMS, ILS or trials safety engineers from other industries such as rail, aerospace, or defence.
- 2 to 4+ years of experience in a safety or reliability engineering role
- Tertiary qualification in engineering or related science discipline
- Proficient in analysis techniques to meet a range of safety and reliability objectives
- Self-starter ability to gather evidence from different engineering disciplines
- Ability to execute project safety plans
- Excellent skills in Microsoft Office suite, particularly Word and Excel
- Able to work in NZ and meet all Rocket Lab security requirements
- Proficient in using requirements management tools e.g. IBM DOORS, JAMA Connect
- Experience with hazardous systems such as ordnance systems, cryogenic systems, high pressure systems, high voltage systems, highly combustible materials or toxic materials
- Understand the interaction of safety with environmental and mission assurance functions