We go to space to improve life on Earth
Rocket Lab is the global leader in small satellite launch. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. There are endless possibilities for what we can achieve with better access to space, and that access is now a reality thanks to Rocket Lab. Our team is 500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action-oriented.
While other companies talk about it, we do it!
About the role
Working within the Safety and Mission Assurance team you will be responsible for ensuring the safe and reliable design of Rocket Lab engineering products from space systems, launch vehicles and hazardous ground support systems. The role involves working closely with multidisciplinary teams across mechanical, electrical, software and systems engineering to perform the appropriate safety and reliability design analyses, and to elicit the necessary design safety requirements. You will be responsible for the creation of safety arguments and documenting them in clear and concise product safety cases which will be reviewed by external stakeholders, regulators, and auditors.
Rocket Lab is an exciting environment where you can make a difference to how things are done including being part of the wider development and improvement of company engineering processes.
This role would suit systems safety, reliability, RAMS, ILS or trials safety engineers from other industries such as rail, aerospace, or defence.
- Systems engineering standards such as Mil Std 882, Defence Standard 00-56, CENELEC standards e.g. EN 50129, EN 50126
- Range safety standards such as AFSCMAN 91-710
- Functional safety standards such as IEC 61508, ISO 26262, DO-178C, EN 50128
Key analysis techniques:
- Fault tree analysis
- Zonal analysis
- 4+ years’ experience in a compliance engineering or technical writing role within a highly regulated, technical industry
- Excellent skills in structuring, writing, and maintaining technical documents such as compliance expositions and process manuals
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Excellent skills in the Microsoft Office suite, particularly Word and Excel
- Tertiary qualifications in an engineering or related technical discipline, or equivalent experience
- Experience automating document preparation and integration with XML or similar data sources
- Experience using document preparation tools such as LaTeX or FrameMaker
- Experience with document automation and templating systems