WE OPEN ACCESS TO SPACE TO IMPROVE LIFE ON EARTH
About Rocket Lab
Rocket Lab is the global leader in small satellite launches. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. There are endless possibilities for what we can achieve with better access to space, and that access is now a reality thanks to Rocket Lab. Our team is 500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action-oriented.
While other companies talk about it, we do it!
About the role
Rocket Lab seeks a Systems Development Engineer to help build the Neutron platform: Rocket Lab’s medium-lift, reusable launch vehicle capable of human spaceflight.
Systems Development Engineers are great communicators who excel in interdisciplinary collaboration: working across teams to structure and execute design trades; define clear, verifiable requirements; and support the delivery of products that exceed these requirements through test, integration, and launch.
Successful candidates in this role will thrive in ambiguity and are excited to work in a small, high-performing team focused on continued learning and growth. This position is ideal for a multidisciplinary engineer keen to support a complex project from conceptual design to integration and launch. Successful candidates in this role will thrive in ambiguity and are excited to work in a small, high-performing team focused on continued learning and growth. This position is ideal for a multidisciplinary engineer keen to support a complex project from conceptual design to integration and launch.
- Conduct technical trade studies across industry engineering systems to achieve required vehicle performance and reliability.
- Contribute the development of flight and ground systems, including:
- defining system architecture,
- developing requirements,
- drafting plans for conops, integration, and system verification.
- Create or review engineering documentation including requirements, interface control documents, test plans, and data reviews.
- Contribute to technical decision making including conceptual, preliminary, and critical design, test readiness, change management, and risk reviews.
- Proactively identify and solve technical challenges to allow projects to proceed at a pace.
- An undergraduate degree in Engineering or a similar field
- 3+ year’s Software experience, ideally from the Aerospace, Automotive, or Marine industries
- Demonstrated experience solving complex engineering problems with multiple stakeholders
- Experience in modern systems engineering practices and tools
- Proven track record of project support/leadership from concept to completion
- Proven communication skills and the ability to build strong working relationships with colleagues and engineering professionals
- The ability to work to tight deadlines within a high-pressure environment
- Strong understanding of fundamental physical principles (i.e. heat transfer, electronics, mechanics of materials, etc.)
- Experience within one/some of the following fields (Mechanical, Propulsion, Avionics, GNC, Operations, Testing)
- Growth mindset. Strong desire for continuous learning
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States’ International Traffic in Arms Regulations. Under these regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union, or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality.