Rocket Lab is the global leader in small satellite launch. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. There are endless possibilities for what we can achieve with better access to space, and that access is now a reality thanks to Rocket Lab. Our team is 500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core - every idea is heard and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly and we are action-oriented. While other companies talk about it, we do it!
Why Rocket Lab?
Rocket Lab is redefining how we access space by providing frequent and reliable launch to Low Earth Orbit (LEO) – we’re opening access to space to improve life on Earth. Rocket Lab is the global market leader in dedicated small satellite launch, with a strong leadership team, solid financial backing and a full launch manifest. To meet the growing demand of dedicated small satellite launch, Rocket Lab is assembling a world-class team.
Rocket Lab is its people. We are seeking passionate, highly-skilled individuals who are comfortable working in a dynamic, technically challenging environment where they will be given ownership of processes from start-to-finish.
Avionics Manufacturing Technician
Rocket Lab is seeking an experienced, hardworking and dedicated Avionics Manufacturing Technician, to join our production team in support of the Electron Launch Vehicle program.
You will support the build, manufacture and testing of advanced electronic systems. This will include soldering, potting, and harnessing PCB assemblies within mechanical enclosures as well as assembly of such PCB components in a production environment. You will perform functional testing of the electrical assemblies and components throughout the manufacturing process. You will be expected to provide feedback to design and manufacturing engineers regarding the manufacturability and quality of the hardware.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Follow the written process, but be prepared to highlight anything that does not seem right (in that process).
- Always looking for improvements. Raise these to your Leading Hand.
- Think creatively; question the status quo.
- Be an active member of the local 5S work center, suggesting improvements and actively taking on jobs that benefit the department.
- Always highlight any abnormality – whether produced by yourself or someone else.
- Honesty and accountability and mandatory requirements.
Health & Safety
- Follow all health and safety policies and procedures.
- Wear correct PPE as applicable.
- Report near misses and incidents promptly.
Team. Contribute to the work centre team by;
- Attending regular meetings
- Carrying out other scheduled jobs
- Complete assigned special projects
- Being able to technically train and mentor junior technicians
- Making suggestions/improvements to production processes and techniques
Manufacture avionic components including the following processes;
- PCB Assembly
- Small electrical assemblies with harnessing and soldering.
- Test sub-assemblies and components using specific test equipment.
- Functional Testing equipment, software driven tests and operating thermal chambers.
- Use common hand tools – screwdrivers, pliers, spanners. soldering irons.
- Use specialist tools and equipment; wire strippers, torque drivers, milliohmmeter, multimeter, DC power supply etc.
- Have a sound understanding of standard industry ESD policy.
- Have a good level of eyesight and be able to inspect PCB and wiring assemblies to customer workmanship standards.
- Be able to manufacture components to NASA workmanship standards or IPC 610, including soldering and wire harnessing.
- Must be able to demonstrate 3+ years of relevant industry experience.
Preferred Experience & Skills
- Must be able to demonstrate relevant industry experience as per the specific roles in sections 4 & 5 below
- A high work rate and be able to work overtime and long hours if needed
- A very high level of attention to detail and the ability to produce work to an exceptional standard of accuracy
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- The ability to work effectively in a team environment as well as autonomously
- Able to read, understand and follow manufacturing instructions and drawings
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Rocket Lab USA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment with Rocket Lab USA is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.