Rocket Lab is redefining how we access SPACE. The satellites of today are getting smaller, doing more and costing less � and thousands of them need to get on orbit. Small satellites have been promised frequent, reliable and affordable dedicated launch for decades. Rocket Lab is delivering on this with a tailored, responsive launch service operating right now.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Rocket Lab is the global leader in small satellite launch. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. There are endless possibilities for what we can achieve with better access to space, and that access is now a reality thanks to Rocket Lab. Our team is 500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly and we are action-oriented.
While other companies talk about it, we do it!
Manufacturing Engineering Manager
Lead, steer, and develop the team of manufacturing engineers who are responsible for developing, implementing, and continuously improving the manufacturing processes at Rocket Lab. Own the component, assembly, and integration manufacturing processes for propulsion assemblies. Revolutionize the process through strong working knowledge of additive manufacturing, machining, welding, assembly, integration, tooling, test, and quality techniques.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Develop and maintain key relationship with
- Director of Production, to stay current with operational requirements, efficiency and delivery targets for the Avionic and Propulsion Production teams.
- Global Director of Supply Chain, ensuring that manufacturing engineering support the purchasing process with engineering knowledge as required. Also ensuring that the tooling design team can source their components to meet the needs of the business.
- Engineering managers in Propulsion, Vehicle and Avionics design, to provide design for manufacture feedback on engineering change, and supporting the engineering change process.
- Develop and steer a team of engineers to be motivated, effective, and efficient in their roles and careers.
- Create and provide opportunities for growth, development, and training for direct reports.
- Ensure direct reports understand their role and responsibilities and receive timely feedback on their performance, both informal and formal.
- Impart benefit of extensive experience to boost collective abilities of department.
- Ensure all employees within department meet Rocket Lab’s high standard for engagement and expected work output.
- Capable of both professionally challenging and openly listening others in technical and business discussions.
- Experienced and capable of providing critical feedback in a professional and effective manner.
- Identify, plan and execute capital equipment, machine, and layout upgrades to meet production requirements, including preparation of business cases.
- Lead the continuous improvement process in your area using Lean tools and techniques.
- Develop, introduce, and maintain new planning, production, quality, ERP, data collection and analysis, and other processes where none exist.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical, aerospace, or manufacturing engineering, or equivalent.
- 10+ years of experience in a manufacturing environment with a minimum of 3 years of leading a team.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver results and improve a team’s overall effective output.
- Ability to create and deliver accurate and concise presentations for design, manufacturing, quality, and business strategy.
- Experienced in creating personal, team, and business annual operating plans and strategies.
- Adaptable and comfortable in an exciting, dynamic, and evolving environment.
- Passion for continuous improvement and building the best hardware and business practices.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
PREFERRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Working proficiency with DFMEA, PFMEA methodologies and Fault Tree Analysis.
- SPC knowledge and experience applying statistical methods to track process capability and performance.
- Competency with SQL databases and SQL programming.
- Pareto analysis, root cause and corrective action experience.
- Working experience with capacity modeling, process mapping, Lean/Six Sigma, and value stream mapping.
- Geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T) experience.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Rocket Lab USA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment with Rocket Lab USA is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.