We go to space to improve life on Earth
As part of the Space Systems team your role will be Mechanical Design Engineering Lead, a hands-on functional managing position that reports to the Chief Engineer. Your team will have 6 to 10 members and you will need to guide and mentor them whilst working alongside them. You will also be expected to communicate your technical strategy to other teams and working cross-functionally on projects with almost every other engineering team.
Our ideal candidate is someone with a strong mechanical and structural background who has previously led spacecraft mechanical development programs. They would have expertise in designing, analyzing, and testing structural components and assemblies of both metallic and composite construction. They will have successfully led engineering teams through challenging projects.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Define, process, and interpret static and dynamic ground test and flight data, including sensor selection, data acquisition and validation, environment determination (random vibration, shock, quasi-static, acoustic, pressure, thermal)
- Perform, validate, and document structural analyses of primary and secondary launch vehicle structures, including finite element model verification and validation, material selection, mass optimization
- Perform structural simulations, including static, modal, random vibration, buckling, thermoelastic
- Define test requirements and directly support testing of vehicle subsystems.
- Conduct peer reviews of analyses.
- Work closely with design and test engineers to iterate through design concepts, determine test requirements, and demonstrate positive structural margins.
- Developing and maintaining analysis standards, documentation templates, test specifications, and other processes
REQUIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor or master’s degree in aerospace, Mechanical, Electrical, or equivalent
- 10 years industry experience, ideally from the Aerospace
- 3 to 5 years’ experience as a team lead or manager
- Demonstrable methodological approach to spacecraft design and mechanical development programs
- High proficiency in multiple areas of physics-based analysis and testing
- Comfort executing to aggressive deadlines within a high-pressure environment
- Effective communication skills and the ability to build strong working relationships with colleagues and engineering professionals
DESIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Experience with manufacturing processes, including conventional machining, and additive manufacturing
- Experience in structural analysis of composites (laminate design, joint design, materials characterization, environmental effects)
- Experience with non-linear material simulation, including metal plasticity, elastomers, and adhesive joints