We go to space to improve life on Earth
Rocket Lab is the global leader in small satellite launch. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. There are endless possibilities for what we can achieve with better access to space, and that access is now a reality thanks to Rocket Lab. Our team is 500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly and we are action-oriented.
Space Systems Senior Technician
Rocket Lab is seeking a Senior Technician who is passionate about pushing the space sector boundaries. Initially there will be training on Rocket Lab systems and procedures in Electron Avionics Production while also supporting the space systems department to mature processes, so they are ready for production followed by becoming a key part of the space systems manufacturing team. They need to be able to transverse both R&D and Manufacturing environments with ease. A curios nature and high attention to detail is a must in order to support rapid prototyping of Photon and Photon related componentry.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Rapid Prototype Development and Production
- Perform development and production of Space System componentry and Satellites with minimal documentation and oversight. Utilizing detailed knowledge of electronic and mechanical fabrication methods to assemble or perform rework. Components include Reaction Wheels, Star trackers, Deep Space Radios, Magnetorquers, Flight Computers and Solar Panel Arrays.
- Experience using electronic testing equipment including but not limited to oscilloscopes, power supplies, function generators, network analyzer and multimeters. Perform test’s on prototyping hardware with minimal direction from engineers.
- Experience with adhering too and developing industry standard environments (ESD safe zones and clean room). Is familiar with ISO 9000 or AS9100 requirements that pertain to these environments.
- Can manufacture and integrate space standard harnesses and is familiar with IPC/WHMA-A-620C and/or AC 43.13
- Can solder components onto PCB’s to J-STD-001 with space addendum down to 0201 package size.
- Can correctly perform accurate measurements and quality inspections using calibrated tooling. For example, calipers or micrometers.
- Can perform system level faultfinding activities on an integrated satellite. For example, continuity checks, functional checks and live voltage measurements.
- Ownership of completion (not creating) of the weekly plan for the assigned product’s, problem solving daily issues and if they cannot be solved, escalating to the leading hand or supervisor.
- Active team player, fostering a positive and fun working environment.
- Shift times as set out in the employment contract. Punctual attendance at the start of shift every day is mandatory.
- Author new or revised assembly work procedures and documentation as required and ensure they are aligned with industry standards and practices.
- Ensure all modifications, deviations and updates are accurately tracked in Rocket Lab systems.
- Follow department policy for As-built accuracy, Non-conformance and quality process while in the manufacturing environment.
- Always looking for improvements. Raise these to your leadership team or supporting engineer to highlight improvement ideas on reducing flight risk or design for manufacture.
- Think creatively; question the status quo while actively and diligently executing as per the instructions.
- Be an active leader of the local 5S work center, suggesting improvements and actively taking on jobs that benefit the department.
- Train and mentor more junior technicians in technical skills using training packages. Support
- Supervisor in signing of skills in the skills matrix for the department.
- Be able to answer technical questions for any components or skills that you are an authorized trainer for.
- Always highlight any abnormality – whether produced by yourself or someone else.
- Honesty and accountability are mandatory requirements.
- Authorize release of flight hardware from area for hardware you are certified as an expert in.
- Authorize new/changed work instructions for hardware you are certified on.
- Carry out detailed inspection’s on product as defined by the Work Instructions and be able to identify non-conformance beyond the specified scope of inspection for the components you have significant experience in.
Contribute to the work center team by;
- Attending regular meetings both in R&D and production and contribute as a technical leader.
- Complete assigned efficiency projects and 5S tasks.
- Making suggestions/improvements to production processes and techniques.
Health & Safety
- Follow all health and safety policies and procedures.
- Wear correct PPE as applicable.
- Report near misses and incidents promptly.
- Show required conviction to stop production or processes if they present a health and safety risk.
REQUIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- 5+ years of relevant industry experience in development of space systems or satellite componentry.
- Additional 5+ years of Aerospace Avionics experience.
- A high work rate and be able to work overtime and long hours if needed.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- The ability to work effectively in a team environment as well as autonomously.