Rocket Lab is the global leader in small satellite launch. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. There are endless possibilities for what we can achieve with better access to space, and that access is now a reality thanks to Rocket Lab. Collaboration is at our core - every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action-oriented. While other companies talk about it, we do it!
The primary responsibility of the CNC Programmer is to create and maintain the CNC programs to build flight-ready hardware that meet Rocket Lab specifications at the needed rate. This Includes, but not limited to, performing CNC machining operations required to support the growing commercial space industry. This means very small lot sizes, many setups and frequent new program prove-outs. This role is tasked with working in close concert with machinist, leads, engineering teams, and machining operations management to increase productivity and optimizing machining programs and procedures.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ability to read and interpret drawings and part specifications (GD&T experience is a must).
- Develop new 5-axis, 4-axis and 3-axis CNC programs in a new product development atmosphere.
- Work in conjunction with Manufacturing and Design Engineers to improve existing and new designs.
- Continuous Improvement focus on optimizing the efficiency of CNC equipment operations through optimization of programming.
- Develop fixtures and setups to enable more efficient production of hardware.
- Familiar with simulation software to verify generated programs are free of collisions and errors.
- Experience with metrology tools & processes for part inspection, including knowledge of CMM inspections.
- Drive to reduce non-conformances found by quality or engineering.
- Assist in qualification and commissioning of new CNC and CNC related equipment.
- Help to schedule work through the CNC, accounting for lead times, yield, and required delivery cadence.
- Provides consistent ideas for process improvements.
- Help track calibration and maintenance of all equipment and tooling in the area.
- Provide training and development to future employees in the department.
- Provide feedback to improve shop documents and procedures.
- 5+ years of experience programming & operating CNC machines.
- 3+ years of experience programming & operating 5-axis CNC machines.
- Proven experience with aerospace alloys like Inconel, Stainless Steel and Titanium
- Able to work under minimal supervision.
PREFERRED (NOT REQUIRED)
- NX CAM programming experience (willing to train but must possess similar CAM software experience)
- Familiarity with Siemens Teamcenter
- FANUC, Haas and/or Siemens controls experience.
- Multi-axis lathe programming utilizing live tooling.
- Enthusiastic desire to help drive engineering effort and capability of a company to best in class.
- Enjoys the challenge of developing unique setups as necessary to produce ultra-low quantities of precision machined components.
To conform to US Government space technology export regulations, applicants must be a US citizen, lawful permanent resident of the US, protected individual as defined by 8 USC 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorization from the US Department of State.
Rocket Lab USA is an Equal Opportunity Employer, employment with Rocket Lab USA is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status