Rocket Lab is the global leader in small satellite launch. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. There are endless possibilities for what we can achieve with better access to space, and that access is now a reality thanks to Rocket Lab. Collaboration is at our core - every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action-oriented. While other companies talk about it, we do it!
FPGA Firmware Engineer, Senior
The Photon Program
Rocket Lab is seeking exceptional engineers to work on the Photon satellite development team. Photon is a first-of-its-kind platform in the small satellite industry: a versatile satellite bus that is also an integral part of every Electron launch vehicle. Engineers on the development team will have a unique opportunity to help shape this space system and, given Electrons frequent launch cadence, will have an unparalleled opportunity to gain complete end-to-end hardware development and on-orbit operations experience across a broad range of missions and applications including Science & Research, Low-Earth Orbit (LEO) and interplanetary.
Rocket Lab is seeking an FPGA Firmware Engineer to assist in the development of avionics for its Photon vehicle. This person will work collaboratively with the hardware and software design engineers and participate in all aspects of FPGA firmware design, from requirements definition through design, implementation, and testing. The Photon development team has frequent opportunities to test and operate their systems on orbit.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with other engineering disciplines in developing system and firmware architecture and requirements
- Develop FPGA firmware for Xilinx and Microsemi FPGA and SoC devices
- Develop documentation for FPGA operation and interfacing with other SW and FPGA systems
- Develop and participate in test campaigns ranging from unit-level to automated testing at the subsystem and system-level.
Required Skills & Experience
- A Bachelor of Science degree (or greater) in Electrical, Computer, Software Engineering or equivalent discipline
- 5+ years of demonstrated applicable experience in FPGA firmware development
- Proficiency with Xilinx or Microsemi devices and tools
- Proficiency with lab tools and working with hardware
- Proficiency with reading PCB schematics
- Demonstrated success working in a dynamic environment
Desired Skills & Experience
- Master’s degree in Electrical, Computer, Software Engineering (or equivalent)
- Experience with both Xilinx SoC and Microsemi devices and tools
- Experience with FPGAs and embedded systems in a radiation environment, including SEU/SEL impact and mitigation within spacecraft avionics
- Proficiency understanding embedded software
- Embedded software development for ARM processors and MCUs over the full stack including Linux
- Proficiency with JIRA and Git
- PCB design including schematic capture and layout in Altium Designer
To conform to US Government space technology export regulations, applicants must be a US citizen, lawful permanent resident of the US, protected individual as defined by 8 USC 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorization from the US Department of State.
Rocket Lab USA is an Equal Opportunity Employer, employment with Rocket Lab USA is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status