AEROSPACE ENVIRONMENTAL TEST ENGINEER
Rocket Lab is a vertically integrated provider of small launch services, satellites, and spacecraft components. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth.
Rocket Lab is a vertically integrated provider of small launch services, satellites, and spacecraft components. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. Our team is over 1,300 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action oriented.
PSC by Rocket Lab is a well-known supplier of aerospace mechanisms for the satellite industry since 1998. To date, PSC has over 100 successful product operations in orbit. For more information about PSC, see www.planetarysystemscorp.com.
PSC’s products include separation systems, on-orbit devices, and other electro-mechanical deployables. PSC’s ~18,000 sq. ft. facility includes areas for office, lab, shipping/receiving and material storage space.
Test Engineer III
Planetary Systems Corporation by Rocket Lab (PSC), a manufacturer of satellite mechanisms, is seeking a proactive engineer with experience in aerospace environmental testing. Candidates must be able to work independently in a small company environment. This position is not remote.
WHAT YOU’LL GET TO DO:
- Execute aerospace environmental tests including vibration, thermal vacuum, shock, static loads and reliability
- Write and improve test procedures for above tests
- Help develop internal test requirements
- Identify and implement test improvement processes (hardware and software)
- Collaborate with program managers and R&D team to support custom testing
- Analyze electro-mechanical systems via classical and computer methods
- Identify, test, and integrate instruments like IMUs, motor encoders and power systems
- Maintain and improve test fixture control and data acquisition software
- Assist with maintenance and calibration of test equipment
- Cognizant engineer to track and support on-time delivery of external customer programs
- Occasional travel to meet with customers about PSC products
YOU’LL BRING THESE QUALIFICATIONS:
- BS in Mechanical, Aerospace, Systems Engineering, or similar degree
- 4+ years’ experience with aerospace environmental testing: thermal-vacuum, vibration and shock preferred
- Familiarity with aerospace test standards such as NASA GEVS and SMC-S-016
- Programming proficiency (LabVIEW preferred)
THESE QUALIFICATIONS WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE:
- MS in relevant engineering degree
- 6+ years’ experience with aerospace environmental testing
- CAD proficiency (Solidworks preferred)
- Familiarity with electromechanical systems
- Experience developing data acquisition systems and processing of electrical telemetry
- Experience automating test cells
PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL DEMANDS:
- Physical requirements: Ability to lift 50 lb. to chest height, stand up to 8 hr/day and install and torque fasteners
Additional Position Details:
Position Type: Full-time, in-person
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Compensation: Competitive salary and benefit package commensurate with experience
Benefits: Paid vacation and holidays, medical, life, and disability insurance, 401k plan with company match, flex-time work schedule, new parent leave, and more.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN US OFFICES ONLY:
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S Department of State.
Rocket Lab provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment at Rocket Lab, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.