MECHATRONICS ENGINEER III
Rocket Lab is a vertically integrated provider of small launch services, satellites, and spacecraft components. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth.
Rocket Lab is a vertically integrated provider of small launch services, satellites, and spacecraft components. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. Our team is over 1,300 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action oriented.
PSC by Rocket Lab is a well-known supplier of aerospace mechanisms for the satellite industry since 1998. To date, PSC has over 100 successful product operations in orbit. For more information about PSC, see www.planetarysystemscorp.com.
PSC’s products include separation systems, on-orbit devices, and other electro-mechanical deployables. PSC’s ~18,000 sq ft. facility includes areas for office, lab, shipping/receiving and material storage space.
Mechatronics Engineer III
Planetary Systems Corporation by Rocket Lab (PSC), a manufacturer of satellite mechanisms, is seeking a proactive engineer with experience in design and development of electro-mechanical systems. PSC’s products include separation systems, on-orbit devices, and other electro-mechanical deployables. Candidates must be able to work independently in a small company environment. This position is not remote.
WHAT YOU’LL GET TO DO:
- Development of electro-mechanical space systems. Includes design, prototyping, production, and test.
- Assist with manufacture and test of PSC products.
- Identify and implement quality and process-related initiatives and improvements.
- Analysis of electro-mechanical systems via classical and computer methods.
- Identify, test, and integrate instruments like IMUs, motor encoders, and power systems.
- Run development tests to debug designs.
- Maintain and improve test fixture control and data acquisition software.
- Inspection and quality control of machined parts.
- Occasional travel to meet with customers about PSC products.
- Subject matter expert for electrical soldering and harness requirements and procedures.
- Cognizant engineer to track and support on-time delivery of external customer programs.
YOU’LL BRING THESE QUALIFICATIONS:
- BS in Aerospace, Computer, Electrical, Mechanical, Robotics or Systems Engineering.
- At least 4 years’ experience building and controlling motor driven mechanisms or robots.
- Mechanically inclined and able to troubleshoot basic equipment issues.
- Familiarity with common manufacturing processes. (e.g., CNC, turning, wire EDM, 3D printing)
YOU’LL BRING THESE SKILLS:
- Proficiency with electromechanical systems
- Programming proficiency in Python, C++, MATLAB, and LabVIEW
- Electrical circuit and PCB design (Eagle preferred)
- Experience with data acquisition and processing of electrical telemetry
- Proficiency in soldering to an industry standard (preferred J-STD-001)
- Experience developing GUIs.
- CAD familiarity (Solidworks preferred).
THESE QUALIFICATIONS WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE:
- Attention to detail, Strong analytical mindset, and Self-motivated.
- Ability to schedule and work on multiple projects concurrently.
- Effective verbal and written communication abilities.
- Ability to work collaboratively with other engineers.
- MS in Aerospace, Electrical, Robotics or Systems Engineering.
- 6 years’ experience building and controlling motor driven mechanisms or robots.
- Familiarity with implementing AI.
- Industrial Interconnect familiarity (CAN bus or similar)
- ROS familiarity
- Motor controller familiarity
- Control algorithm familiarity
- GPIO, serial, analog, and digital signals familiarity
Additional Position Details:
Position Type: Full-time, in-person
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Compensation: Competitive salary and benefit package commensurate with experience
Benefits: Paid vacation and holidays, medical, life, and disability insurance, 401k plan with company match, flex-time work schedule, new parent leave, and more.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN US OFFICES ONLY:
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S Department of State.
Rocket Lab provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment at Rocket Lab, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.