We go space to improve life on earth
Manufacturing Engineer – Propulsion
Develop, implement, and continuously improve the propulsion component, assembly, and integration manufacturing process through strong working knowledge of additive manufacturing, machining, welding, assembly, integration, tooling, test, and quality techniques.
Duties & Responsibilities
Process and Tooling
- Develop production procedures and processes and ensure they are accurately and clearly documented to allow repeatable and reliable manufacturing
- Design, develop, and implement tooling for use in a production environment to improve quality, delivery, and cost performance
- Provide engineering support for day-to-day production and quality processes
- Perform training of production personnel and leadership on new and existing processes and procedures
Design for Manufacturability
- Contribute and steer design reviews, acting as an expert in design for manufacture and test.
- Oversee introduction and implementation of new products and product revisions
- When required, lead problem containment and root cause/corrective action investigations
- Quickly analyze and resolve manufacturing discrepancies and non-conformances
- Collaborate with the quality team to identify and drive quality-related initiatives and improvements
- Perform structured root cause analysis of in-process failures
- Liaison between production, quality, supply chain and design engineering staff for complex problem solving and process changes
- Identify, plan and execute capital equipment, machine, and layout upgrades to meet production requirements, including preparation of business cases
- Lead the continuous improvement process via Lean/Six Sigma tools and techniques
- Develop, introduce, and maintain new planning, production, quality, ERP, data collection and analysis, and other processes where none exist
- Domestic and international travel may be required
- Additional duties as reasonably required
- Be a role model for a safety-conscious culture
- Ensure health and safety policies, PPE, standard operating procedures are followed
- Ensure near misses and incidents are reported promptly and accurately
Requires Experience & Education
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical, aerospace, or manufacturing engineering, or equivalent.
- 1-10 years of experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Ability to create and deliver accurate and concise presentations for design, manufacturing, and quality.
- Experience modeling with 3D CAD software.
- Capable of solving complex problems with little to no supervision in a timely manner.
- Adaptable and comfortable in an exciting, dynamic, and evolving environment.
- Hands-on with a passion for continuous improvement and building the best hardware.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
Preferred Skills & Experience
- Working proficiency with DFMEA, PFMEA methodologies and Fault Tree Analysis.
- SPC knowledge and experience applying statistical methods to track process capability and performance.
- Competency with SQL databases and SQL programming.
- Experience designing tooling in an aerospace manufacturing environment.
- Pareto analysis, root cause and corrective action experience.
- Working experience with capacity modeling, process mapping, Lean/Six Sigma, and value stream mapping.
- Geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T) experience.