Saber Astronautics is a space engineering company specialising in satellite mission operations. Our global reputation is one of precision, innovation and commitment to the growth of the space industry. Saber launched and operates the next generation Mission Control Center “Responsive Space Operations Center” (RSOC) program with sites in Australia and the USA.
Saber believes our future is among the stars. Our goal is to democratize space access, making it accessible to everyone. We do this through our commitment to cutting edge technology. We stay at the forefront of our field in a continuous process of invention and discovery.
Diversity drives innovation. Saber is fully committed to a workplace that is respectful, inclusive, and diverse. We are at our best when we reflect the customers and communities we work with. We strongly encourage indigenous people, mature age people, people with disabilities, culturally and linguistically diverse people and people of the LGBTQIA+ communities to apply. We also encourage authenticity and our open, dynamic culture at Saber means that an undergraduate can speak up alongside a 20-year industry veteran. Join us as we build towards a galactic future!
Saber Astronautics is expanding rapidly, alongside a booming space industry. You’ll be working with some of the best and brightest in the space industry. No ideas are too big, no job is too small. See your ideas come to life!
You’ll work in leafy Chippendale in Sydney. Public transport is within a 5 minute walk, with quick access to restaurants and cafes in Chippendale, Central Park and Spice Alley, and a bakery/cafe making famous sourdough and coffee just seconds away from our front door. We encourage a healthy work-life balance, facilitated by our flexible working arrangements and supportive working relationships. We also take having fun very seriously.
We encourage anyone who is interested and passionate to apply to see how they can join the space industry and make an impact.
Saber Astronautics is seeking multiple qualified Lead DevOps Engineers to join their team for a full-time position in Sydney and/or Adelaide, Australia however the flexibility to work remotely will also be considered.
A Lead DevOps Engineer is a technical leadership role for a small team of developers focused on the development of distributed (K8s) systems deployed as Infrastructure as Code, for next generation space operations systems. You will work as an integral part of a creative and motivated team to ensure high quality benchmarks are met for delivery of the product.
Key Accountabilities and Deliverables include:
- Design and build scalable, highly available HTTP APIs (REST, RPC and GraphQL) in Python and Web Apps in Typescript
- Build and run low latency messaging pipelines and event streams for time-series data including MQTT, ZeroMQ, SNS/ SQS
- Model and scale databases (relational, time-series and data lakes) to handle highly available, fault-tolerant OLTP and OLAP workloads
- Deploy and manage workloads on multiple Kubernetes clusters (Self managed and/or AWS EKS incl. Fargate and EC2) and AWS Lambda
- Improve systems delivery through Infrastructure As Code (Pulumi) and DevOps (CI/ CD via Bitbucket Pipelines)
- Counterparty data and network integration using Transit Gateway, TCP/ IP, IPSec and virtual & physical appliances from Cisco & pfSense
- Build and maintain grafana dashboards to aggregate and visualise high-cadence infrastructure and satellite telemetry events
- Implement and inform security best-practice and controls across networking, databases, certificate management, apis and web applications to comply with NIST and prepare for ISO-27001 certification
- Define and implement engineering excellence/ best practice, upskill colleagues and provide solution architecture or design within the team
- Consult with customer engineering teams, product managers and C-level executives to understand requirements, guide their implementation and inform our roadmap
- Mentor a distributed team via one-to-ones, pairing and code review
- Scope and organise projects including planning, estimation and scheduling
- Assist with technical interviews and hiring
- Demonstrated skills in solution architecture/ design particularly for low-latency, event-driven systems
- Proven experience running large-scale RDBMS-backed applications on AWS, ideally EKS
- Natural communicator with experience in high-level stakeholder management
- Strong IaC knowledge and experience, ideally with Pulumi (Cloudformation/Terraform good too)
- Experience developing CI/CD workflows and tools (Bitbucket Pipelines, Gitlab CI, Github Actions, Jenkins etc)
- Experience with monitoring and observability tools such as Cloudwatch, Datadog and/ or Honeycomb
- Experience in coaching and mentoring other software engineers across multiple disciplines
- Strong experience writing clean, test-driven, and maintainable code.
- Experience working in an Agile environment, using tools such as JIRA.
- Version control experience utilising industry standard software such as Git.
- Experience interfacing with API libraries.
- Experience working within large existing codebases, following and maintaining a coding standard, and proper code documentation.
- Well-versed at debugging and problem solving.
- Strong mathematical skills and solid experience with complex algorithms.
- A keen interest in space.
- A strategic and lateral thinker with strong analytical, conceptual thinking, and creative problem-solving skills.
- A high attention to detail.
- Ability to positively influence the direction of a team and organisational culture.
- Bachelor Degree or Certification in Computer Science/Software Engineering and/or:
- 5+ years professional experience required if not degree qualified.
- Familiarity with Space Engineering principles, including Orbital Mechanics.
- Experience with space-related software development.
- Strong understanding of system design and user experience.
- Experience with performance optimisation.
How to Apply
Include in your application:
- Cover letter
- Evidence of AUS Citizenship
- CV or Resumé
- Portfolio of prior work (code samples and/or projects of note)
- 2-3 professional references