About the role
This position concerns development of software for military systems, with a particular focus on applying innovative approaches to deliver solutions to challenging real-world problems. Responsibilities include development and evaluation of technology demonstrators and prototype systems; guiding peers (developers and specialists) through the software development lifecycle while setting a high bar and encouraging adherence to good practice and internal standards, and; liaising with customers, stakeholder and management to deliver winning outcomes.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Confidently interact with customers and stakeholders to understand the required functionality and features of the system or software
- Make technical contributions to product architecture and design selections as well as getting hands-on in everything from writing code, fixing bugs and peer review, to test, validation and documentation
- Advocate for quality, security, and performance improvements to benefit our customers and improve our products
- Ownership and management of software development toolchain and software development lifecycle systems
On a project by project basis
- Lead the software development taking responsibility for requirements capture, specification, development, testing, quality assurance, system validation, documentation, etc
- Create plans of what needs to be developed, how and when, then take responsibility for the team’s achievement of project milestones and deadlines
- Take responsibility for quality; write and execute test plans, scripts and use automation tools
- Proactively communicate progress, blockers requirements and problems to management
Experience and technical skills
- Master of Computer Science/Engineering or similar
- Minimum 5y programming experience in design and development of real-time, performance sensitive mission-critical systems for military / industrial / medical or similar applications
- Expertise with multiple software design tools (SCM, build processes, debuggers, emulators and simulators) and languages, with a high level of proficiency in C++ in a Linux environment, and, experience programming GPUs (CUDA, OpenCL)
- Proficiency in architecting, design, debugging, test, verification and validation and documentation
- Hands-on experience with EO, IR, INS, IMU, GPS sensors
- Experience with parallel programming, multithreading or FPGAs
- Matlab & Simulink, MBD, HIL, SIL
- Cyber and application security experience
- French language skills
- Emerging Leader; works effectively in a team environment taking on a high degree of responsibility for guiding project direction and delivery whilst enabling and supporting teammates, builds respect of peers and holds colleagues to account
- Driven; has a strong sense of urgency for critical tasks, able to handle competing priorities while effectively managing schedule and communicating process
- Project management skills; manages own time and effort effectively, capable of driving team performance to deliver against challenging schedules and project deadlines
- Strong communication skills; capable of effectively documenting and reporting their work and communicating with internal and external stakeholders to resolve problems
How to Apply
Candidates must currently have the legal right to work in Australia to be eligible to apply for this position.
Please note all final applicants for this position will be asked to complete a national police check and each application will be considered on its merits.
All applications should include a covering letter and up to date CV and be submitted to the attention of Human Resources quoting reference number SE0920.
To submit your application on our website it is best to use Chrome, Firefox or Internet Explorer on a desktop.
Safran is an international high-technology group, operating in the aviation (propulsion, equipment and interiors), defense and space markets. Its core purpose is to contribute to a safer, more sustainable world, where air transport is more environmentally friendly, comfortable and accessible. Safran has a global presence, with 84,000 employees and holds, alone or in partnership, world or European leadership positions in its core markets. Safran undertakes research and development programs to maintain the environmental priorities of its R&T and Innovation roadmap.
Safran is featured on the “Happy at work” rankings. The Group places fourth on the Capital ranking for best employers in France.
Safran Electronics & Defense is a world leading supplier of products and services that handle observation, decision and guidance functions for both civil and military applications. The company understands and applies a wide range of the state-of-the-art technologies that underpin embedded intelligence in many different areas, as a supplier to some of today’s most innovative aerospace and defense programs.