Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth. Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to decision-makers in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Big data, big mission
In 2009, we set out to image the entire world every day. Eight years and almost 200 satellites later, we’ve released a geospatial platform, achieved daily, global imaging capacity, and are hard at work analyzing our data to deliver insights.
These are the types of challenges that get us excited and we’re looking for colleagues who share our passion.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet’s data and machine learning-powered analytics to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest challenges.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we are iterating in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth.
Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
About the role:
Planet is looking for a SATELLITE TASKING ENGINEER to support the team in Berlin to schedule and optimize the image collections for Planet’s satellite constellations. Our Collection Planning team is located in San Francisco and Berlin.
The new team member shall have experience with mission planning systems and remote sensing. A demonstrated record of working with GIS tools to manipulate geospatial files for ingest into ordering systems and management of satellite collection schedules leveraging varied data sources is required. The Planner’s main focus is to ensure that collection orders meet the service level agreements and ensure a high quality of our products. We are looking for candidates with experience in fine-tuning output from collection feasibility systems with strong emphasis on cloud analysis and forecasting.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Optimize image collection schedules based on customer needs, imaging parameters (such as image collection geometry) as they relate to collection capacity and resulting image quality
- Regular tracking and reporting of collection success
- Identification of technical and procedural issues and initiation to resolve them
- Collaboration with flight operations to ensure functionalities of the satellites
- Collaboration with customer facing teams to ensure we meet customer expectations
- Develop and maintain imaging metrics/statistics as they relate to collection yield
- Experience with historic and real-time weather data to improve cloud avoidance
- Analyze collection satellite data and leveraging software programs to capture patterns/correlations to optimize and support continuous automation of operational routines
- Collaboration with teams across the company
What You Bring:
- Geospatial/Remote Sensing Degree is preferred & (2+ years with relevant working experience)
- Fundamentals of remote sensing and image processing and satellite acquisition planning concepts for eo satellite missions
- Experience in working with spatial data and image processing tools (e.g. gdal)
- Experience in PSQL and Postgres and/or ready-to-use knowledge in python and bash scripting
- Knowledge of GIS tools like QGIS
- Data-driven mindset and comfort with statistical analysis
- Desire to work in a dynamic startup environment with rapidly updating priorities and a constant sense of urgency
- Ability to multitask, prioritize and manage time effectively
- Independently working team player with excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Ability and willingness to work in flexible shifts (12/7)
- Understand impact of changes within a complex technical environment
- Familiarity with AWS or Google cloud infrastructure and JIRA issue tracking and project management is a plus
- Motivated to learn from other teams, who closely collaborate with Collection Planning
Benefits While Working at Planet (Berlin):
- Flexible working hours / home office
- Fruit, snacks, drinks, weekly company lunch
- Office building in a central location close to Zoologischer Garten
- Onsite massages, Urban Sports Club membership, health program
- Birthday and anniversary gifts
- Volunteering benefits
- Stock options
- Corporate benefits
- Recognition and referral program
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Great Team Events
Some press about us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall’s TED Talk
“Tiny Satellites ushering in the New Space Revolution” Bloomberg Businessweek
“The All-Seeing Eye in the Sky video” Bloomberg Businessweek video
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please… do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.