The Spaceship Company (TSC) is Virgin Galactic’s aerospace-system manufacturing organization. Headquartered in Mojave Air and Space Port in Mojave, California, it is building and testing a fleet of WhiteKnightTwo carrier aircraft and SpaceShipTwo reusable spaceships that, together, form Virgin Galactic’s human spaceflight system. We are proud to share the Virgin Group heritage and value our position as an integral part of a remarkable story and globally celebrated brand. Like many Virgin companies across the world, its team of over 430 talented and dedicated engineers, technicians and professionals are drawn together by a willingness to disrupt and challenge the status quo and deliver innovative aerospace solutions to our customers’ needs. The Spaceship Company has a straightforward name: as you would expect, we build spaceships. But we also do much more. The Spaceship Company’s extensive capabilities encompass preliminary vehicle design and analysis, manufacturing, ground testing, flight testing and post-delivery support. The Spaceship Company team is uniquely positioned to offer end-to-end aerospace development with extensive experience in design, manufacturing, and testing.
We are proud of our relaxed and informal culture that encourages individuality and innovation. Our team is built on motivated, enterprising and enthusiastic contributors. Our company culture and values are set up in such a way that you need to be able to “check your ego at the door”, be a self-starter and possess a sense of humility. We thrive under pressure, are driven by challenges and aren’t afraid to set the goals that will take us to new heights.
Who you are:
The Spaceship Company (TSC) www.thespaceshipcompany.com is seeking an experienced Senior Aerodynamics Engineer who will be proficient in performing aerodynamics design and analysis and has an intimate knowledge of aircraft systems with the ability to support conceptual and preliminary design, as well as characterize existing designs. You will find yourself amongst the best and brightest while being part of a pioneering organization!
- Plays an integral role in all aerodynamic designs for the Advanced Design team
- Support Aircraft design through all phases from conceptual and preliminary aerodynamic design analyses to integration and test activities.
- Perform aerodynamic configuration trade studies on mission performance that includes effects of weight, fuel, stability and control, propulsion, and payloads.
- Develop aerodynamic data bases for use in 6 degree of freedom simulation models.
- Develop and substantiate aerodynamic and performance criteria and requirements for unique vehicles with unconventional configurations.
- Maintain current legacy computer analysis programs, and support development of modified and new software tools and methods.
- Present work and technical findings to management and senior leadership through design reviews and program milestones.
- Prepare and perform customer presentations, provide engineering reports, specifications and proposal inputs.
What you bring
- 8 years’ or more experience in aerodynamic conceptual and preliminary design of subsonic, supersonic and hypersonic aerospace vehicles.
- Working knowledge of aircraft and aerospace systems.
- Experience with aerodynamic model development and post flight test data evaluation.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent Organizational Skills and problem-solving skills
- Strong team player
- Excellent computer skills, including word, excel and powerpoint
- Desired computer language skills include Linux, Python, Simulink, MATLAB, Fortran, C, C++.
- Desired experience with 3D solid modeling software; CATIA.
- Desired experience with FUN3D, NSU3D, Pointwise, and/or similar RANS and gridding methods
- Pilot, aircraft homebuilding and rapid prototyping experience a strong plus
- Excels in a fast past environment with loosely defined interesting problem
- BS or MS degree from an accredited college in Aerospace Engineering (or related field)
- Experience with the design of flight vehicles or vehicle systems to a set of requirements or standards such as CFR 14, Part 400, Part 23 and 25, military or NASA is highly desired
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
The Spaceship Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with The Spaceship Company is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.