Senior Data Scientist
Apogee is seeking a Senior Data Scientist located at Los Angeles SFB, CA in support of Space Systems Command Chief Information Officer (SSC CIO). SSC drives effective, resilient, and innovative cyber-secure solutions across all programs to meet warfighter and business needs and rapidly innovates and secures capabilities to enable warfighter dominance over the adversary.
Why work with us?
Apogee Engineering, LLC is a provider of research, engineering, operations, software, cyber, intel, training, technical services, financial and administrative expertise across an array of DOD and Federal Civilian customers. Our company was founded on the commitment of making a positive difference for our customers and our people. Apogee’s culture is infused with integrity and a passion for excellence, which has propelled us into the ranks of an elite small business company. Apogee is known for an unwavering dedication to our client’s success, a warm and employee-centric work environment, and an enthusiasm to provide the right solution at the right time.
What you will be doing:
- Know and understand the Department of Defense (DoD) Data Strategy in addition to the Service Components’ (US Space Force and US Air Force) corresponding implementation plans with respect to data.
- Support the development and maintenance of the Space Systems Command’s implementation guide in accordance with higher headquarters documentation.
- Provide and assist with local Command-level policies required for the implementation guide.
- Support Program Offices within the Program Executive Officers’ portfolios in developing, maintaining, and implementing local policies and governance specific to each supported mission system both in operations and in development.
- Provide data science and data analysis services to the Command offering solutions for streamlining decision making based on mission and business needs.
- Provide pre- and post-contract support with the development of data management and handling processes in accordance with Higher Headquarters and Command-level governance and policies.
- Support and track the implementation of Space Systems Command’s Data Implementation Plan across all programs within the Space Domain Enterprise mission data (both in operations and in development), in addition to local business data to include but not limited to program management, contracting, and finance functional data, personnel data, administrative data, records management data, and readiness data.
- Ensure all Space Systems Command data will adhere to the lines of efforts outlined in the DoD Data Strategy, Service Component Data Implementation Plans, Command-level data implementation plan, and ensure the data is aligned with the Visible, Accessible, Understandable, Linked, Trustworthy, Interoperable, and Secure (VAULTIS) characteristics identified in the DoD Strategy.
- Keep fully abreast with current and emerging data technologies in the military and commercial spaces.
- Maintain a deep understanding and working knowledge with (but not limited to) hardware, software/applications, procedural solutions for data storage, data handling, data transport, data management, data analytics and science, data presentation and visualization, data validation/verification, data exploitation, data processing, data and security
- Support the Command and program offices within the Space Domain Enterprise with their data solutions and implementation plans.
- Support program offices with technical support for any development or operational data implementation or prototype efforts.
- Support and manage Space Systems Command’s Data Stewardship Group. Organize and schedule recurring meetings with the Command’s data stewards, create, and manage the agenda, take, and store meeting minutes, note and track progress on identified action items, coordinate logistics and updates with action officers and data stewards, develop and maintain Data Stewardship Group products (meeting slides, tasker, attendance sheets, minutes, etc.), and any other DSG support-related tasks.
- Map out data flows for specific mission vignettes towards building an overarching map of data flows for USSF missions.
- Support CIO, PEOs and higher headquarters with a comprehensive understanding of current information flow, challenges with data transport, cyber capabilities, data gaps and future data needs. Provide recommended solutions to these challenges.
What you’ll need:
- Security clearance required: TS/SCI
- Bachelor’s degree in data science/data management or related field and 5-7 years of experience; or a Master’s degree in data science/data management or related field and 3-5 years of experience
- Deep working knowledge of data science and analysis and be familiar with the use of machine learning and artificial intelligence to offer solutions for data driven decision making and organizational digital transformation
- Deep understanding and working knowledge with (but not limited to) hardware, software/applications, procedural solutions for data storage, data handling, data transport, data management, data analytics and science, data presentation and visualization, data validation/verification, data exploitation, data processing, data and security
- Apogee offers two medical plans, a high deductible health plan with a HRA and a traditional POS plan with co-pays, dental, vision, 401(k), life insurance, PTO, paid holidays, parental, military and jury duty paid leaves. Regular part time employees scheduled for twenty-four or more hours per work week are eligible for benefits on a pro-rated basis.
- This position is eligible for a discretionary annual bonus.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)