Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to decision-makers in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet’s data and machine learning-powered analytics to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest challenges.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we are iterating in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth.
Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Our Payload Group is looking for a (Senior) Geospatial Software Engineer to help us operate and further optimize the utility of the largest camera constellation ever deployed in space! We are responsible for system-level analysis, operations, simulations and development for our Earth observation payload. Our group works at the intersection of hardware, software, and product engineering teams in the Space Systems division. The role will appeal to candidates that enjoy the interchange between photography, GIS, systems engineering, and operations. In this role you will collaborate with Camera, Photogrammetry, Sensor, Pipeline, Analytics, and other System Engineers in helping us develop and implement advanced sensor fusion and harmonization techniques combining Planet’s satellites with other public and private missions. The candidate will be responsible for:
- Developing and implementing data fusion and harmonization algorithms
- Driving internally and externally the development, implementation, and adoption of new imagery products in the context of Analysis Ready Data
- Supporting Imaging Pipeline Engineering trades and requirements gathering
- Develop and maintain ingestion of external data sources into our infrastructure
- Troubleshooting Image Quality and Calibration/Validation Issues
- A passion for Programming, Photography, Remote Sensing, Earth Sciences, and Geography
- 5+ years relevant experience in remote sensing, mapping and/or cartography
- Extensive experience leveraging scientific computing using Python, STAC, GDAL, COGS, OpenDataCube and/or C/C++ in a Unix/Linux/AWS environment
- Hands-on, can-do attitude, great interpersonal skills, and ability to collaborate effectively
- Practical experience in solving problems by exploiting large cloud-based datasets
- Solid graduate-level Statistics, Linear Algebra and Physics foundation
- BS/MS in an Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Data Science, Aeronautics and Aerospace or other relevant scientific/engineering field
- 5+ years Geospatial experience + proven track record of automation of analysis of imagery/maps
- Solid background in machine learning and statistics
- PhD in EE, CS, DS, AA or relevant scientific/engineering field
We are committed to building a diverse team and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds.