The Space Business Area contributes with mission-customized software and hardware products including power systems and star trackers as well as services to support a number of in-orbit pioneering European scientific and Earth observation satellite missions. Additionally, Terma is contracted for the development and delivery of software and hardware systems and services for numerous ongoing and future European, and international missions.
Terma Space operates out of Denmark, The Netherlands, France, Germany, and the UK.
For our office in Darmstadt, Germany, we are seeking for a Senior IT System Administrator with wide technical knowledge on design and operation of IT core services. The main activities involve virtualization and infrastructure technologies, VMware, GNU/Linux and IBM AIX.
As a member of our Terma IT team, you will provide support to our internal and external customers, international organizations within the space sector. The ultimate target of this role is to ensure the IT platform supporting the earth observation satellites and spacecraft operations activities is running smoothly.
The duties range from the support to the internal and external operational environments and facilities, to the analysis, design, development, testing and maintenance of new mission critical ground segment facilities.
Future activities, after you acquire enough domain knowledge, will bring you other responsibilities that might grow into technical leadership and service management.
Your tasks will typically include but are not limited to:
- High level management of the current platform, suggesting improvements and deploying new systems and services;
- Technical implementation and coordination of customer driven activities prior agreed upon;
- 3rd level support hands on, responsible for investigation and resolution of complicated and/or challenging incidents;
- Provision of support, as required, to critical operations;
- Take ownership and technical lead of design, implementation and coordination of system improvements and completely new services and infrastructures;
- Provide technical consultancy, advice and guidance on latest IT trends to team members and end customers;
- Team technical leadership and mentoring.
For day to day activities you shall apply the relevant change control and maintenance procedures. The complex environment requires a wide background of technical knowledge therefore your natural curiosity will help you to resolve complicated situations.
This is a full time position, located at our office in Darmstadt, Germany, starting ASAP. Standby / call-out support and provision of support to critical operations, may sometimes be required.
Qualifications & Competencies
Applicants shall have a university degree in computer science (or equivalent). You should have proven extensive knowledge and work experience with the following:
- IBM AIX or GNU/Linux operating system(s);
- Virtualization technologies (VMware, NSX, PowerVC);
- Cloud infrastructure (Openstack, Docker, Kubernetes);
- Automation (ansible) and monitoring (CheckMK, Nagios);
- Operation and production environments;
- Understanding of network and storage infrastructure.
Proven knowledge and at least 7 years hands-on experience with at least 3 of the following is mandatory:
- GNULinux administration using different distributions (SLES, RHEL);
- IBM AIX administration and troubleshooting;
- Big scale VMware infrastructures;
- Core services management (DNS/LDAP/DHCP/infrastructure);
- (2 years) OpenStack or Docker/Kubernetes infrastructure.
Proven knowledge and hands-on experience with the following is mandatory:
- Definition, implementation, testing and documentation of end-to-end system changes;
- Preparation of technical documentation in English in a complete and clear manner;
- Communication and interpersonal skills, being able to effectively communicate and coordinate activities within different teams;
- Team mentoring and technical guidance.
- Fluency in English (spoken and written) is mandatory, as English is the working language.
The variety of the tasks and the scope of the systems to be supported require a high degree of autonomy and good analytical skills together with the ability to effectively cooperate within the team.
What can Terma offer
At Terma, we consider skilled employees, enthusiasm and job satisfaction as the very foundation of our success and as a prerequisite for the development of the “best-in-class” solutions that Terma provides. We lead the way in applying new technology, offering a wide range of growth opportunities for each individual and emphasizing mutual respect across the board in our workplace.
Terma offers you a pleasant working environment at the customer site, where you will be able to take on challenging tasks and responsibilities in a highly professional company.
- Great opportunities for training and personal development
- Challenges in advanced technical environment
- International and cosmopolitan working atmosphere
- An employment contract with an attractive package with extra-legal benefits
- Highly competitive salary
Closing date: August 15th, 2019
Please note that applicants must hold all appropriate documentation and permits to work in Europe.