At Virgin Orbit, we launch the small satellite revolution, accessing space for missions that were previously unimaginable and fostering new ideas and technologies to create a truly spacefaring civilization.
At Virgin Orbit, we launch the small satellite revolution, accessing space for missions that were previously unimaginable and fostering new ideas and technologies to create a truly spacefaring civilization. We deliver Virgin’s legendary customer service by pairing technological advancements with a clear focus on our customers’ needs. We build a workplace and a workforce for the future, knowing that our decisions and investments of today will launch the industries of tomorrow. We engage a diverse and inclusive community of dreamers and achievers in a shared mission to access space to improve life on Earth. At Virgin Orbit, we boost imagination. Search all of our job openings on our career portal.
Virgin Orbit (VO) is seeking a Senior Manager of People to lead our People Business Partner team. If you join us in this position, you’ll lead hands-on and strategic work to ensure alignment between Virgin Orbit business operations and our People practices and programs. You’ll also work closely with leaders and teammates across the organization in order to support our vision, mission, and purpose. This is a full-time position at our rocket factory in beautiful Long Beach, California.
Our Senior Manager of People will roll up their sleeves to help support our dynamic operation as we get to first flight and beyond. You’ll have a keen understanding of HR best practices, employment law and regulations, and how to move quickly within a broad scope of work. This is a role for a hands-on person with a great attention to detail and … do we have to even mention it? … impeccable People skills.
Here’s what you’ll be responsible for:
- Assist department leaders in resolving employee relations matters, conducting effective investigations as needed, and recommending action for sensitive and complex situations
- Build relationships and guide department leaders in resolving employee relations matters, conducting effective investigations as needed, and recommending action for sensitive and complex situations
- Plan, lead, and execute work related to annual People processes (performance management, compensation and remuneration programs, recruiting practices, etc.), working with the other People leaders to accomplish organizational goals
- Inspire, mentor, and manage a bright team of People professionals, lending your expertise and learning from theirs
- Support our culture by bringing a uniquely Virgin approach to your role, aligning our programs and ways of working to the Virgin Orbit Values & our People Principles
- Play a strategic role on the People leadership team, working cross-functionally with your peers and advising the VP of People & Culture and other leaders across the company
- Help Virgin Orbit do our part to make the world a better place
- Constantly learn new things—and share them with your team members
- Performs other duties as assigned
What you bring
If you want to join us, you’d better have all of these…
- A Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Psychology, Business, or any other related field.
- HR certification such as SPHR, SHRM-SCP, etc.
- A minimum of 8+ years working in an HR Business Partner or People Manager role. You should have a wide breadth of experience in helping operational leaders in employee relations, compensation, recruiting, performance, and retention.
- Demonstrated knowledge of relevant labor laws and practices. Knowledge of standard hiring practices, recruitment metrics, interview techniques, and management systems and approaches. Will also have proven and successful experience in influencing senior management and departmental heads into the adoption of ultimately beneficial people management policies and procedures
- Proven ability to adapt and thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly changing work environment
- Generally high level of all-around awesomeness
- Must be able to work all shifts and available for overtime as well as weekends, when needed
- Must be able to stand for extended periods – 8 hours minimum
- Must be able to stoop, bend, crawl, and being able to maneuver in tight spaces
- Must be able to occasionally travel (<10% time)
… and you should probably have a bunch of these, too.
- Master’s degree preferred in Human Resources, Psychology, Business, or any other related field
- 2 or more years leading a team of business partners
- Experience working in an aerospace, engineering or manufacturing environment
- An ability to develop and nurture partnerships across and within teams
- Passion for space exploration and a firm belief in the utility of affordable access to space
- Ability to thrive as a leader as well as a ‘one person team’
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Our idea of a happy life: build rockets, work with brilliant people, serve purposeful customers, and open access to space. Sir Richard Branson’s belief is “If you get the perfect mix of people working for your company, you have a far greater chance of success.” From the very start, we have placed top priority on growing and fostering a team of creative, diverse, and talented women and men. In the words of Sir Richard Branson “We believe it’s better to have a hole in your team than an asshole in your team!”
Virgin Orbit is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Orbit is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.