About us: It’s a great time to be part of the SES team
We are the world’s leading satellite operator with over 70 satellites in two different orbits, Geostationary Orbit (GEO) and Medium Earth Orbit (MEO). We provide a diverse range of customers with global video distribution and data connectivity services through two business units: SES Video and SES Networks. Our global team works collaboratively to make a significant, and often life-changing difference in the world. As part of our team, you will play an integral part in delivering on our vision. At SES, we connect and enable broadcast, telecom, corporate and government customers, and enrich the lives of billions of people worldwide.
(Senior) Manager Software, Engineering
United States – Manassas, Virginia
In this role, you will lead a team to design, build and deploy critical applications as part of systems that directly support our customers. Responsibilities include direct management of development engineers, process and quality of service improvements, strategic planning, project management for software within the team, and management of resources across teams. Responsibilities also include designing, writing and testing code, approximately 50% of the time. Successful candidates will be strong leaders who can prioritize well, communicate clearly, and have a consistent track record of delivery.
Your programmatic responsibilities include leading the business rhythms of the software development team, supporting milestone reviews, identifying and mitigating/implementing risks/opportunities, implementing software changes, and working closely with other functional teams. You will also lead the technical, cost, and schedule execution of software development activities for multiple program landmarks and objectives.
Functional management includes performance evaluations, career development mentorship, program assignments, merit and salary actions, training plans, staffing and recruiting. You will be responsible for providing technical mentoring and guiding work assignments, employee career development, continuous ongoing feedback, and being their employees advocate in opportunity discussions.
Primary responsibilities / Key result areas
- Act as both an individual contributor and team lead in ensuring the delivery of high quality software requirements, user stories, designs and both in-house and vendor developed applications.
- Oversee the design and development of software systems that addresses complex requirements derived by cross functional teams.
- Propose and develop enhancements and requirements for new and existing applications. Perform associated software unit testing, software integration and validation.
- Ability to rapidly prototype and evaluate applications and interaction methodologies.
- Perform peer reviews and all levels of testing (unit, integration and validation) during the software development lifecycle.
- Automate the development cycle via continuous integration
- Estimate and lead projects while actively managing risks.
Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science or Information Technology <Master’s degree for Senior position>.
- 7+ years of experience managing software development teams
- 5+ years software engineering experience
- Strong project management experience
- A deep understanding of software architecture and development methodology
- Programming languages experience (C#, C++, JAVA).
- Object Oriented Design (OOD) experience.
- Software Quality Management experience
- Experience required with the below but not limited to the full list:
- Python, Agile methodologies, GIT and/or BitBucket
- designing, implementing, and maintaining a Command and Control system
- SQL (MySQL, MS SQL Server)
- Integrated Development Environment (IDE) (ie Eclipse, Visual Studio, etc) utilities programming, debuggers and debugging techniques
- TCP/IP protocols and messaging applications
- Network experience in the areas of topologies and protocols along with firewall administration
- Proven experience working in Agile teams demonstrating Scrum, Kanban or other methodologies
- Experience developing applications on multiple platforms, e.g. Windows, Linux, OS X, etc.
- Ability to regularly take part in deep-dive troubleshooting exercises and drive technical post-mortem discussions to identify the root cause of complex issues.
- Demonstrated track record of project delivery for large, cross-functional projects with evolving requirements
Other key requirements / comments
- Strong customer-focus and demonstrated experience working with/meeting business users’ requirements.
- Strong interpersonal relationship, team building, collaboration and objective facilitation skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- You will enjoy keeping your technical skills current and demonstrate an ability to learn new technologies and keep abreast of the latest technological advances.
- Ability to explain complex concepts to non-technical stakeholders.
- Experience crafting stateless and microservice-based architectures
- Relentless focus on collaboration and teamwork
- Work with remote management and team members
- Proven mindset of helping others to succeed/mentoring
- On-call will be required as software engineering supports customer facing systems
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Commitment to deadlines and willingness to meet the needs of 24×7 environment
- Domestic travel required approx.15%
- For US based positions: must be US Citizen or Green Card Holder
What’s in it for you?
In addition to a competitive salary and benefits package, we offer you a truly global opportunity in an exciting industry and all the support you’ll need for both your professional and personal development. But most of all, we offer a truly unique opportunity to play your part in making a difference for those who need it most. We strive to uphold honesty, transparency and courage in everything we do. We’re proud to belong to the SES team and collaborate towards success.
Good to know
SES and its Affiliated Companies are committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, protected veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law. In conformity with U.S. Government technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and the Export Administration Regulations (EAR), and/or other applicable U.S. law, regulation or other requirements imposed by the U.S. Government, certain positions may require U.S. Citizenship, status as a lawful permanent resident of the U.S. or a “protected individual” as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligibility to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State or U.S. Department of Commerce.