Viasat Inc. (NASDAQ: VSAT) is a global communications company that believes everyone and everything in the world can be connected. We build, launch and operate an advanced satellite constellation, delivering broadband internet to aircraft, homes, business, and governments all around the world.
The Viasat Design Team are seeking a talented Senior Product Designer to lead projects, grow our team and set direction for our portfolio of products.
In this position you will be engaged across a variety of products, from enterprise grade software to consumer-facing apps and services. The work will encompass the whole design and user experience process from envisioning future concepts and defining user flows to detailed interaction designs and prototypes, user testing and assisting development teams with final implementation.
In this role you will crystallize the problem space and guide the team to research, ideate and produce delightful customer experiences, outcomes and solutions. This role requires the ability to work at the macro big picture level whilst always maintaining a keen eye on the details.
Additionally this position requires you to take hands on responsibility coaching and mentoring other team members, helping the team to grow and flourish.
Working closely with leadership you will help to establish the culture, strategy and direction for our design team.
What you will be doing:
- Influence and lead design thinking across the business, leading and creating human-centered experiences and product design processes throughout the organization
- Collaborate with Sales & Marketing, Product Management and Engineering teams to define and implement innovative solutions for the product and services direction
- Conceptualize and iterate original ideas that bring simplicity and user friendliness to complex design problems.
- Guide, support and balance team recommendations with research, analytics, usability testing, customer insights and other quantitative/qualitative insights as appropriate to advance ideas.
- Act as the user-advocate during the product development process, present and defend designs and key milestone deliverables to the team and product stakeholders with an ability to see the big picture whilst maintaining careful attention to detail.
- Research interaction, design standards and technology trends. Evaluate competitor and other related products to ensure that our products and services adhere to best of breed usability and user experience standards in the market.
- Lead and guide the following activities: UX Research, Design Workshops, Defining Design briefs, Storyboarding, high & low fidelity prototyping.
- Manage and prioritize projects and scope and plan design activities and outputs within the team.
- Shape an environment that attracts great people and creates the conditions to do their best work. Act as a hands-on mentor / coach to the user experience and product design focused employees, helping them achieve satisfying career goals.
- 10+ years of experience designing outstanding digital products
- A Degree in Graphic Design, Visual Communication, Digital Media,
- Interaction Design, Industrial Design, Product Design, Human-Computer
- Interaction, Human Factors, Cognitive Science or related field – or commensurate work experience.
- Strong portfolio outlining ideation process, design thinking, interaction and visual design across a wide range of user experiences
- You will need a thorough understanding of the agile software lifecycle and ability to communicate and engage with frontend and backend engineering teams to iterate and achieve the best solutions.
- Experience and understanding of the entire product development process, from problem solving through to detailed interaction and visual design
- The ability to think and design in terms of systems not just interface elements
- Be able to create high-fidelity mockups of your designs using Figma, Sketch, etc.
- Be able to create prototypes using any tool like Framer, Principle, HTML/CSS/JS, etc.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to build strong working relationships with Design, Product, Sales, Marketing and agile Software Development teams.
Additional Requirements and information
- Minimum education: BA/BS or equivalent experience
- Years of experience: 8-15 years
- Travel: Up to 10%
- Citizenship: Irish or EU Citizenship or valid Irish work permit
- Clearance: None
- Worker Classification: Employee