We are Astra. Our mission is to launch a new generation of services to connect and improve life on earth. We are a small, highly ambitious team with deep technical expertise who love to build things and relish the idea of a grand challenge.
Our campus where we design, manufacture and test nearly every component of our rocket launch system is located on the former Alameda Naval Air Station, just 15 minutes outside of San Francisco.
Mission first, people always; while we must work together as one team, we respect and protect the safety of everyone. Communicate fearlessly; so that we can understand, not persuade. Learn by doing; the only sustainable competitive advantage is our ability to learn faster than the competition. Simple scales; complexity is expensive and slow. Embrace moonshots; think big, then bigger – the hardest problems are the most important to solve.
Astra is building the world’s highest production rate orbital space launch system – capable of launching satellites from anywhere, to anywhere. Nearly every component of this system is designed in house – including rocket engines, stage structures, fluid systems, avionics, flight and ground software; all of the supporting infrastructure such as a portable rocket launcher, mission control, and dozens of test stands; and the software that powers it all. Most components are manufactured on-site, and rockets are integrated, tested, and launched at Astra’s own facilities. And unlike most traditional space companies, Astra iterates the design of this entire system on a yearly cadence, learning by doing on a rapid path to a unique new capability for access to space.
Product Managers at Astra work with teams of engineers to define and build these products. As a Product Manager, you will own a significant part of our launch system and be responsible for planning the releases of that product, based on a deep understanding of business strategy and technical paths. Reporting to the VP of Product Management, you will work with Astra’s Engineering, Manufacturing, Business Development, Launch and Test organizations to own the product roadmap, release planning, and requirements change management for your part of the launch system. You will work to understand and navigate the trade-space between reliability, performance, cost, and schedule. You will have a deep understanding of time and resource estimates provided by Engineering teams, and proactively support execution to ensure that product releases are delivered on schedule and budget. And at the end of the day – you will shape a product that helps launch a new generation of services into orbit, to improve life on Earth. Come and build the future with us at Astra!
The Product Management Team
Astra leads the industry in applying agile iterative development to space launch systems. Astra’s Product Management team is at the center of this process: owning the roadmap that defines what the next releases of our orbital launch system will look like, and the plan to deliver those product releases to the market at a competitive pace. We build those plans in close collaboration with a wide spectrum of stakeholders both inside and outside of Astra, covering business and technical drivers of our roadmap. On the business side, we build deep insights into our customers and the market in partnership with our Business Operations team. With partners in Engineering, Manufacturing, and Launch, we build an understanding of what we can design, build, and launch within time and resource bounds. Then our Product Management team combines these business and technical inputs to define the roadmap and release plans that deliver the most value, most efficiently. The Product Management team is core to building that plan, inspiring and aligning our teams around it, and working with all teams to deliver those product releases to market – step by step, realizing Astra’s vision of daily space delivery.
How You’ll Fulfill Your Mission
- Plan aggressive but achievable releases of your product scope within Astra’s launch system. Establish deep relationships with all product stakeholders, including direct customers (satellite operators), internal consumers (the test and launch organization), and internal stakeholders (engineering, manufacturing, supply chain) to ensure releases include the features and initiatives that deliver the greatest value to the business. Work with colleagues in the Product Management team to build an overall roadmap for Astra’s launch system, integrating your product scope with others.
- Partner with Engineering to ensure that, for each release, features and initiatives critical to customers have well developed resource plans such that releases consistently meet schedule objectives, and appropriately factor development risks. Partner with Manufacturing to ensure that releases are optimized around targeted production rates, and engineering initiatives selected for releases balance labor, material, and other production costs against performance improvements. Partner with Business Operations to communicate product roadmaps to key customers. Partner with the CTO to help define and incorporate new technology into your product roadmap.
- Deliver on-time and on-budget releases by choreographing sets of well-understood engineering initiatives into iterative product releases.
- Build and improve our product management system at Astra. We are not only iterating on the products we build, but also how we build our products.
- Inspire and work through others to drive impact at Astra, and build happy and high-performing teams. Have a clear vision for what Astra could become, think outside the box to contribute valuable new ideas, and turn those ideas into actions that move Astra forward.
Why We Value You
- You have deep product management experience with complex hardware and/or software systems.
- You have a demonstrated track record of delivering complex products in partnership with Engineering and other stakeholders.
- You are not afraid of technical details, you learn fast, and you are motivated to understand every aspect of your product.
- You will quickly become an expert on the market for your product, and act as a passionate advocate for the customer.
- You are excited about our mission and expanding access to space, and are able to inspire our teams working to make that happen.
- You thoughtfully and thoroughly engage all stakeholders in decision-making, and effectively build alignment around decisions.
- You have the professional maturity and confidence to “push back” with tact when necessary.
- You bring a structured approach to ambiguous problems, turning head-scratchers into solvable problems with clear next steps.
- You ruthlessly prioritize your work for impact on the business, and execute tasks with an attention to detail and sense of urgency.
- You have excellent written and oral communication skills.
- 5+ years of product management experience in complex systems combining hardware and software
- Experience in high growth / startup environments
- Technical background (advanced degree and/or engineering experience) relevant to orbital launch vehicles
Salary and Benefits
We’re competitive in compensation and offer equity as part of the package. We have really good benefits that include health, vision, dental, 401K in comparison to other startups. We offer hot lunch everyday and there’s plenty of snacks and drinks to get you through the day. We celebrate our accomplishments with quarterly off-sites and frequent happy hours.
ITAR Requirements: To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.