With nearly two decades of sub-orbital launch experience and technology development, VECTOR needs your help in taking the next steps to push space boundaries.
Innovation in space occurs when people have the freedom to imagine and to do. We are looking for other thought leaders in their fields of expertise who also believe in our vision and can work beside us to make this dream a reality. The Senior Project Engineer/IPT Lead will be responsible for the overall definition, planning, execution and management of Vector-R vehicle development at the stage and vehicle levels. Responsibilities include definition, communication and adjudication of complex technical work plans across various Engineering disciplines to satisfy larger project and program objectives. Persistent communications and coordination with both internal and external stakeholders are critical to the success of this position. This role is for a dynamic, self-starting individual with great attention to detail and excellent people skills. This is a full-time position located at our Engineering offices in Huntington Beach, CA.
A typical day might include the following:
- Work closely with Vector-R program leadership to establish, prioritize and revise project-level technical objectives to satisfy larger business goals
- In coordination with the Vector-R Chief Engineer, produce and maintain a baseline of Technical Performance Measures, Development Risks and mitigation plans
- Collaborate with Systems Engineering, Design and Test Engineering groups to establish realizable work and resource plans that satisfy the technical objectives while maintaining reasonable execution risk postures
- Serve as independent technical evaluator and adjudicator of execution priorities when resource, scheduling or risk conflicts arise
- As necessary, serve as deputy to Vector-R program manager, assisting with generation of reports, engagement with department leads, and maintaining overall program schedules
- As necessary, serve as principal integrated product team (IPT) lead for various subsystem development efforts, through integration of subsystems to the stage and/or vehicle level
- When necessary, define and escalate emerging conflicts or risks to senior Engineering and Program leadership; produce detailed technical, schedule and budget briefs for review and approval
- VECTOR strongly believes in the power of the individual and seeks people who share our passion for innovating, building and flying
This job might be for you if you have these:
- B.S./M.S. in Aerospace/Mechanical/Industrial Engineering or equivalent
- 5+ years of relevant experience in:
- launch vehicle, spacecraft or high-performance aircraft development and testing
- leading teams of 10 or more engineers and technical staff to execute complex design, manufacturing and testing projects
- developing, updating and maintaining program plans, schedules and manpower forecasts
- MS Office (including Visio)
- Travel: less than 10%, typically to Tucson, AZ facility
- Physically able to carry and handle items weighing up to 25 lbs (unassisted)
- Demonstrated ability to motivate a team of highly capable people to achieve company goals
- Ability and willingness to thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly changing work environment
- Must be available to work extended hours and weekends as needed
It would be impressive if you also have these:
- Strong proficiency in MS Project, including interpretation, reporting of and revisions to GANTT, PERTT and networking charts
- Demonstrable track record of delivering complex hardware systems within budget and schedule
- Experience with launch vehicle propulsion systems, composite structures, or flight avionics
- Experience with CAD systems (NX, SolidWorks, etc.)
- Experience with hands-on development and verification testing of prototype hardware
- Experience with aerospace qualification testing
- Experience with aerospace manufacturing practices
- BIG vision to reshape the multi-billion launch market
- Ability to work as a member of a cross-functional team
- Ability to add something unique and positive to our team
Do you have an entrepreneurial spirit and desire to be part of an innovative team that designs, builds and flies rockets? Put your skills to work and see if you have what it takes to become a part of the new frontier of rocket science.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
VECTOR is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Each individual has the right to work in a professional environment that promotes equal employment opportunity and prohibits discriminatory practices, including harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.