This is a unique opportunity to join a dynamic and rapidly growing company seeking to make a positive contribution to the growing problem of orbital debris that endangers mankind’s continued use of space as an asset.
Astroscale UK (Harwell), with some travelling to other Astroscale locations including Japan, USA, and Singapore.
Astroscale is seeking to employ an experienced and motivated Senior Spacecraft Mechanical CAD Engineer at our facility based in Harwell, UK. This is a unique opportunity to join a dynamic and rapidly growing company seeking to make a positive contribution to the growing problem of orbital debris that endangers mankind’s continued use of space as an asset. This role will allow the right candidate to shape solutions for our missions. Whilst the candidate will primarily work in the UK, they will interact extensively with a larger team in Astroscale’s Japan Office and may expect to be required to travel to Tokyo as needed in support of Astroscale projects and operations.
- Assist the generation of mechanical spacecraft and hardware requirements.
- Plan and lead the mechanical design of hardware including spacecraft structure, mechanisms, unit modules, and ground support equipment to meet mission requirements.
- Work closely with Mechanical Analysis Engineer on the structural analysis of flight and mission support hardware.
- Work with AIV team to ensure that mechanical design considers ease of manufacture, assembly, integration and test.
- Define and perform hardware related activities throughout spacecraft design and development, Assembly Integration and Verification phases, and Launch campaigns.
- Lead structural testing of flight and engineering related hardware.
- Generate and maintain MCAD related documentation including specifications, part / assembly / ICD drawings, procedures, work instructions, reports, etc.
- Support and generate inputs to project lifecycle reviews (PDR, CDR, etc).
- Support Procurement Manager with manufacturing supply chain.
- Assist company-wide projects and activities as an integrated member of the Astroscale team.
- Diploma; bachelor or master’s degree in mechanical engineering or relevant engineering/science discipline.
- 5+ years of experience as mechanical design engineer in space industry.
- Experience as mechanical lead of a space mission.
- Extensive proficiency using CAD software packages such as SolidWorks, SpaceClaim, AutoCAD, CATIA, NX, etc.
- Experience performing FEA using structural analysis software packages such as Ansys.
- Ability to prepare and execute to a project plan.
- Ability to coordinate and lead a team.
- Background and proficiency performing FEA using structural analysis software.
- Experience designing innovative spacecraft mechanisms and/or mechanical packaging solutions.
- Whilst the working language across all Astroscale divisions is English, proficiency in spoken and/or written Japanese would be considered an asset.