Virgin Galactic is on track to become the world’s first privately funded commercial space line. It is dedicated to becoming a world leader in sub-orbital commercial space tourism with a longer term vision to develop other space technologies that have the potential to open space to significantly more people and users. If you are looking for a challenging opportunity that will ignite your passion for designing cool and innovative products, are exceptionally creative, are a great problem solver and can make things happen – apply today!
Who You Are:
Virgin Galactic (VG) is seeking a mid-level experienced NDT Technician to join our dynamic VG Team. This role is for a hands-on person with great attention to detail and excellent people skills. If you have a great attitude and a creative mind then you will feel right at home in this organization! The candidate must have a desire to learn something new, enthusiasm for the new space industry and be able to mix existing aerospace experience with spaceline inspection development. You will find yourself among the best and brightest while being part of a pioneering organization. This is a full-time position at Virgin Galactic’s Mojave, CA test flight facility with permanent relocation to Virgin Galactic’s base of operations, Spaceport America / Las Cruces, NM.
- Responsible for accomplishing assigned inspection work on space flight system hardware, assemblies and vehicles.
- Conducts inspections utilizing a variety of NDT methods which may include but are not limited to ultrasonic, penetrant, x-ray, eddy-current, and thermal/infrared and laser shearography.
- Properly utilize NDT test equipment and associated tools to successfully interrogate hardware and structures, make decisions as to their acceptability for continued use and keep abreast of new and advanced test equipment.
- Shall be required to document inspection results in both paper and electronic forms as well as complete and sign work records in connection with work performed.
- Inspects parts, sub-assemblies and completed assemblies to the extent necessary to determine, accomplish and approve acceptability in accordance with written procedures.
- Will be required to, but not limited to be working on check aircraft.
- Assist with development of procedures and techniques for non-destructive testing of metallic and composite structures.
- Support training of other NDT personnel using hands-on knowledge from the vehicles via different mediums as appropriate.
What you bring
- Must have successfully completed minimum training requirements defined in NAS 410, ATA 105 or ASNT-SNT-TC-1A for a Level 2 inspector in UT and PT. Training in other methods is desirable.
- Must have recent, documented hours, working as and NDT inspector and have obtained sufficient experience to be certified in accordance with one of the above industry standards.
- Must have strong working knowledge of aircraft and/or aerospace non-destructive testing processes and the proven ability to conduct inspections with limited supervision.
- Minimum 5 years aviation/aerospace industry experience desired.
- Excellent computer skills. Skilled in working in Microsoft Office applications.
- Experience on narrow body and/or business jet aircraft preferred.
- Experience with composite aircraft is preferred although not required (commercial or military aerospace application).
- Must display maturity of action and judgment.
- Must be able to work under pressure and thrive in a fast paced environment.
- Good communication skills.
Suggestions for Education/Certifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or in “STEM” Majors (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math).
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Certifications or similar within aerospace, aviation or automotive.
Physical and/or Additional Requirements
- Perform physical requirements of the position, including use of inspection hand tools, NDT equipment, lift up to 50 lbs., pass eye examination.
- Willing to work overtime, travel and be on-call as necessary.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
The Virgin Galactic organization has a relaxed and informal culture that encourages individuality and innovation. You will be motivated, enterprising and enthusiastic. Company culture is such that you need to be able to “check your ego at the door,” be a self-starter and possess a sense of humility. You will work well under commercial pressure and thrive on being given challenges and responsibility. You will communicate clearly and be confident and persuasive. You will have a high level of integrity and understand the need of complete confidentiality.
Virgin Galactic is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Galactic is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.