SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
The sensor development team designs, builds, and tests innovative sensing solutions that are critical to making life on Mars possible. This sensor development engineering role will be on a highly interdisciplinary team of engineers working to select sensor technologies and develop sensing solutions that enable spacecraft propulsion and navigations systems.
- Oversee sensor development, test, and qualification for SpaceX’s vehicles with a focus on pressure transducers and temperature sensors
- Architect new test infrastructure, complete data analysis/review, and interface with system owners
- Coordinate and execute acceptance and qualification testing of sensors
- Interface with sensor vendors for the selection of sensors for given applications
- Collect and document sensor requirements to communicate to vendors
- Work across teams (systems, integration, dynamics, guidance, etc.) to ensure appropriate sensors are developed to meet vehicle requirements
- Participate in design reviews
- Investigate sensor failures and communicate/execute recommended actions
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, or physics
- 2+ years of experience working with pressure transducers and/or temperature sensors (significant academic projects, internships, and traditional professional experience all qualify)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, or related field
- 2+ years of professional experience working with pressure transducers and/or temperature sensors
- Experience with high pressure testing
- Experience testing sensors and qualifying them for a given service environment
- Data analysis experience in Python or MATLAB or Minitab
- Advanced knowledge of various physical sensors and how they operate, designed, and manufactured – pressure transducers and/or temperature sensors
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills
- Extended hours and weekend work may be required to support critical project and mission milestones
- Must be willing to travel < 20%
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.