Serco is among the leading Space Industry and Services Companies
As a Contract Manager at Serco Belgium, you are an experienced operational strategist that has a knack for customer care and market insight. This job opportunity will call for your proven expertise in people and change management, financial growth, decision-making and problem solving.
For the new Federal vessel ‘Belgica II’, Serco Belgium offers an interesting career opportunity for a Contract Manager to reinforce the team in Brussels (Belgium). This opportunity is subject to contract award.
Serco is a public services expert that specialises in the delivery of essential public services with over 50,000 people working across the world. In Europe, Serco operates across three key sectors and offers custom-made services for our clients.
Our company culture is based on a set of four values – Trust, Care, Innovation, Pride – that shape our individual behaviours and hence the way the company behaves. They guide us in our dealings with colleagues, customers, suppliers, partners, shareholders and the communities we serve.
Joining the Serco Community also calls for the implementation of these values in the work you do! Explore more about our Community by watching our video below!
If this career opportunity appeals to you, scroll down for a detailed overview.
Strategy and Plans
- Support and manage business development strategies and annual plans for the contract to meet profitable growth targets, in line with the overall contract development strategy.
- Identify, qualify, execute and transition new and existing contract relationships to increase customer loyalty, and deliver financial and profitable growth targets.
- Translate strategy into meaningful objectives and targets and ensure that departmental staff in turn support these plans.
- Conduct regular reviews of plans, monitor and take action to ensure profitable growth targets are met, including submitting accurate and timely reports to the Contract Director
Customer and Markets
- Manage a culture of customer service excellence, exemplify and promote Serco objectives and values. Ensure excellent customer satisfaction is delivered and that it is measured objectively.
- Maintain regular customer contact at the local level and provide satisfactory feedback on all customer queries and, where such feedback is negative, take necessary action to prevent re-occurrence as far as is practicable. Utilise customer feedback to enhance service delivery and to minimize risk to the business or the customer relationship.
- Maintain a high level of awareness of the internal and external stakeholders (including competitors) who can play a part in the success of the operation and create and implement a stakeholder engagement plan.
- Develop and maintain a network of relationships with customers, partners and stakeholders in order to develop long-term profitable growth including where appropriate leveraging off the wider capabilities of Serco.
- Seek opportunities to collaborate with customers and suppliers in order to gain or improve stakeholder relationships and win new business.
- Ensure effective communications such that employees, customers and influencers understand our value proposition as a business partner providing solutions and we are fully aware of their requirements.
- Accountable for the delivery of operational activity across the contract, measured against agreed KPIs, and the overall service delivery of the contract.
- Responsible for managing safety, regulatory, reputation and security risks associated with incidents and/or failures of service delivery that impact national capabilities and public services.
- Accountable for adhering to appropriate corporate governance processes to comply with assurance and other legal requirements and deliver contract requirements effectively.
- Embed a culture of safety and ensure a robust assurance, health, safety and environmental regulatory framework.
- Act as a point of problem resolution for the contract on critical issues.
- Leverage services from across the capability area and wider Serco to drive best practice and innovation across the contract.
- Provide leadership in line with Serco’s Values such that all employees understand and adopt the defined strategy and plans and are motivated to achieve their own personal objectives.
- Provide leadership and develop resolution strategies for issues relating to unions
- Maintain and seek to improve the safety culture and health/wellbeing within the contract.
- Organise the operation in a highly effective manner, seeking out Maritime best practice from inside and outside Serco.
- Identify cultural change and seek through action and leadership to move the contract in a direction that achieves high levels of employee engagement and trust.
- Create an open culture which encourages open and honest two-way communication at all levels.
- Create a flexible and learning culture where change and agility to change are accepted and can easily be accommodated.
- Ensure that jobs are designed to suit the immediate and future business needs and that all staff understand the personal contribution expected of them, providing encouragement and support through appropriate learning and development to deliver to their potential.
- Recruit, retain and lead a highly skilled and motivated workforce, ensuring the appropriate depth and breadth of talent and resilience is in place to deliver, improve and grow the business.
- Ensure robust succession and career development plans exist that support the future growth of the business; minimise risk; and seek to provide lasting and worthwhile careers for our people.
- Lead a team of shore side support staff and afloat crewmembers, ensuring frequent direct engagement to listen and gain feedback, provide direction, advice, guidance and coaching to improve the performance and behaviours of crews and individuals.
Growth and Financials
- Maintain robust and reliable financial management and reporting processes.
- Develop and manage a sustainable contract growth pipeline to ensure that profitable growth targets are achieved taking full account of competitors’ capabilities.
- Critically evaluate new business opportunities and ensure bids are executed to a high standard and resourced appropriately and resources optimized.
- Manage budget expenditure understanding the impact on the finances of the business
- Apply financial processes and principles including the information necessary to estimate, develop and execute the BELSPO Contract budget, profit and loss and balance sheets.
- Support the compilations of business cases for budgets/bids and understand the constraints associated with budgeting.
- Monitor all performance statistics, promptly and pro-actively addressing any failures or areas of concern and ensure timely submission of required performance reports.
- Be the driving force for change, extolling the virtues and benefits of change to the workforce. Designing change processes and/or managing others through a change process using structured planning and project management skills.
- Encourage and adopt innovation at all levels of the operation and deliver novel solutions.
- Ensure the operation applies “best-practice”, consistent, cost-efficient service delivery through the adoption of Serco Management Systems and Maritime IMS.
- Personally, and through the team, seek opportunities to improve both the ‘what’ and ‘how’ in service delivery.
Problem Solving and Decision Making
- Within the limits of delegated authority; approve Purchase Orders and Invoices; make decisions on operational matters for the contract such as; changes to organisational structures; resource requirements; manning and skills levels; the business plan for the contract; and individual contract plans.
- Problem resolution will be broad, spanning service issues; customer/supplier/ stakeholder communications; responding to unforeseen or anticipated changes in customer demands.
- This breath of problem resolution and decision making will require effective utilization of internal business partners and resources. Effective use of such resources and timely support will require ongoing communication and engagement of the contract’s needs and priorities.
- Use management tools to analyse accurately how the contract(s) is performing and how to enhance service delivery and growth.
Essential qualifications :
- 10 – 15 years of experience as Senior Manager (p&l, development, people management,…) in a maritime company
- Educated to degree level or with demonstrable evidence of equivalence through management experience and achievement.
- Proven track record of operating in a Marine environment.
- Experience and good understanding of governance of a regulatory environment (Marine) relating to the contract.
- Evidence of relevant and up to date CPD.
- Experience and proven track record in employee and Trade Union relations.
- Experience and proven track record in MoD and commercial maritime relations.
Professional skills and knowledge :
- Possesses a solid understanding of the defence and commercial marine market in which the contract operates, demonstrates knowledge of competitive forces, market and industry, with ability to apply insights into decision making.
- Evidences a track record in developing and implementing a strategy and plans to achieve success in service delivery and growth.
- Ability to create and communicate a compelling vision and sense of purpose that motivates teams at all levels.
- Demonstrates evidence of building successful peer stakeholder relationships.
- Demonstrates ability to network internally and externally and influence effectively to navigate complexity and deliver results.
- Evidences excellent commercial acumen and negotiation skills, with a track record of improving business performance.
- Drive for delivering a quality service, values positive customer feedback and understands how to improve operational effectiveness.
- Demonstrates a track record in leading transformational change in performance through operational improvement and strong leadership.
- Strong knowledge across all business functions, including finance, business development, people management and communications.
- Excellent analytical skills with ability to assimilate information quickly, and communicate key messages simply and effectively to the business
- An effective communicator, with the confidence and ability to deliver formal reports and presentations both to clients and internal senior stakeholders.
- Demonstrates ability to operate effectively within a matrix structure.
Additional technical skills :
- Proven experience of running a single site operation and operating across public and private sector organisations.
- Experience of developing and executing successful plans in a complex service business to support strategy.
- Knowledge and understanding of a P&L.
- Leadership of specialist and sometimes geographically dispersed teams, effectively communicating direction, developing talent and capabilities.
- Strong track record of supporting growth and financial performance in complex and demanding environments.
- Proven practical and pragmatic understanding of contracts and service delivery.
- Excellent Salary
- Corporate Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance (if applicable)
- Further information available from the Serco Europe Recruitment Team
About the Company
Why should you join Serco ?
At Serco not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play.
Meaningful and vital work – You’ll contribute to methodologically intercepting challenges whilst achievements will also be recognised and celebrated.
A world of opportunity– You’ll be wholeheartedly supported with development and career progression
Great people – You’ll become an integral member of a well-defined and supportive team who believe passionately in the value of our work.
What we offer
- Chance to contribute to innovation in the public services sector
- A company passionate about diversity and inclusion
- Permanent employment with comprehensive Serco Benefits package.
At Serco, not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play when managing complex public services.
We are a team of 50,000 people responsible for delivering essential public services around the world, we are innovators, committed to redesigning and improving public services for the benefit of everyone.
By joining Serco you will have unlimited access to our Global Employee Networks – SercoInspire (Gender), SercoEmbrace (Multicultural), SercoUnlimited (Disability) and In@Serco (LGBT & Networks). Serco Employee Networks, led by colleagues who are passionate about diversity, inclusion and belonging.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
Serco European Agencies