Serco is among the leading Space Industry and Services Companies
At Serco, we strive to promote and enable the diversity, development, wellbeing and safety of our people. We understand that healthier, happier employees go hand-in-hand with strong business performance, enhanced productivity and better outcomes for those we serve. We want everybody who works for Serco to have a positive experience and access to opportunities to develop in their chosen careers.
Dedicated to the European Space Agency’s Earth-observing activities, ESA-ESRIN is the European centre of excellence for exploitation of Earth observation missions. The mission and payload operations of ESA’s Earth observation satellites are managed here, and ESRIN is the primary source for the acquisition, distribution, and exploitation of data from these and other non-ESA satellites.
Serco Italy has a long history of providing Earth Observation operations, maintenance and front-end services to ESA. To provide continual service improvement, Serco has recently introduced a special focus on evolution and innovation, with the aim of supporting ESA in further evolving the services and products.
Does working in a Serco environment sound appealing to you?
We would love to hear from you and your interest in the new opportunity of Payload Data Ground Segment Support Engineer in Frascati!
This activity is intended to support the EarthCARE PDGS sub-systems Technical Officer for the procurement of the sub-systems dedicated to the PDGS Data Processing chain, including the processing orchestrator and the Level 0 and Orbit/Attitude processors. The support is intended to be provided from phase C/D to phase E1 and possibly during phase E2.
The scope of the activity encompasses:
- PDGS sub-systems specification
- PDGS sub-systems development
- PDGS sub-systems integration and validation into the PDGS
- PDGS sub-systems evolutions during phase E2
The activity of the Work Package will be based on the following EarthCARE input:
- PDGS System Requirements Document
- PDGS Design documentation
- PDGS Operations Concept Document
- Interface Control Documents
- PDGS Sub-Systems Requirement Documents
- PDGS Integration and Validation Plan
- Ground Segment Validation Plan
- PDGS Commissioning Implementation Plan
- Mission CFIs documentation and software
The following deliverables are expected:
- Contribution to PDGS sub-systems management documentation (Plans, SoW, Reports, etc.)
- Contribution to PDGS design documents
- PDGS Sub-Systems Requirements Documents
- Contribution to PDGS Integration, validation and commissioning documentation
- Contribution to preparation of PDGS sub-systems operational documentation
- Technical notes, Minutes of Meetings, reports, review item discrepancies and problem reports within the scope of the work package
- Testing specifications for the integration and validation of the relevant facilities
- Ad-hoc developed tools
Does this vacancy not suit your profile? Not to worry, you can send your updated CV to firstname.lastname@example.org – a member of our Recruitment Team will come back to you shortly after.
You shall perform the following tasks:
During phase C/D/E1:
- Management Support to the PDGS sub-systems technical officers for:
- Preparation of the PDGS sub-systems managerial documentation (e.g., implementation plan)
- Preparation of the PDGS sub-systems contractual documentation (e.g., SoWs)
- Coordination of industries in charge of PDGS sub-systems development
- Coordination of PDGS sub-systems reviews
- Preparation of the PDGS Sub-Systems requirements documents
- Support to PDGS specification for the part relevant to the PDGS data processing sub-systems implementation (e.g., Interface Control Documents)
- Support the acceptance by the PDGS Project of PDGS external CFIs
- Review of documentation from various sources: ESA, Industry during the project phases dealing with sub-systems implementation and testing.
- Participation to Ground Segment Reviews and PDGS reviews organized either by ESA or by Industry
- Management of the review item discrepancies, system or software problem reports and action linked to PDGS Sub-Systems implementation contracts
- Generation of technical notes whenever needed during the relevant project phases
- Operations of the various supporting tools for the part relevant to the PDGS sub-systems implementation (e.g., Documentation Management System)
- Support to the PDGS Integration and Validation and Ground Segment Validation phases addressing for the relevant PDGS sub-systems:
- Integration of the facility within the PDGS
- Definition of integration and validation tests
- Run of integration and validation tests procedures
- Test results analysis
- Test reporting
- Support for operators training and preparation of operational documentation for the relevant PDGS sub-systems
- Support for definition and documentation of the PDGS Commissioning Implementation Plan and procedures for the relevant PDGS sub-systems
- Support for the preparation of the launch and the implementation of rehearsal activities for the relevant PDGS sub-systems
- Support for the management of PDGS Operations, system behaviour monitoring and reporting during commissioning for the relevant PDGS sub-systems
- Ad-hoc development of tools for the accomplishment of the PDGS sub-systems engineering, testing and validation, etc.
During phase E2:
- Support for the sub-systems impact analysis of new PDGS requirements deriving from new user needs and/or new operational needs
- Support to the PDGS sub-systems specification evolution
- Coordination of industry in charge of PDGS sub-systems evolution and maintenance
- Generation of technical notes whenever needed during the mission lifetime
Activity required skills
- University degree or equivalent qualification, preferably in engineering or Remote Sensing
You will be requested to travel on mission.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
Joining Serco Italy’s amazing team offers:
- Competitive Salary
- Great career opportunities in the Space industry
- Competitive Salary
- Corporate Benefits Package
- Exciting relocation package (if applicable)
- Company events
- International environment
About the Company
Why should you join Serco ?
At Serco not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play.
Meaningful and vital work – You’ll contribute to methodologically intercepting challenges whilst achievements will also be recognised and celebrated.
A world of opportunity – You’ll be wholeheartedly supported with development and career progression
Great people – You’ll become an integral member of a well-defined and supportive team who believe passionately in the value of our work.
What we offer
- Chance to contribute to innovation in the public services sector
- A company passionate about diversity and inclusion
- Permanent employment with comprehensive Serco Benefits package.
At Serco, not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play when managing complex public services.
We are a team of 50,000 people responsible for delivering essential public services around the world, we are innovators, committed to redesigning and improving public services for the benefit of everyone.
By joining Serco you will have unlimited access to our Global Employee Networks – SercoInspire (Gender), SercoEmbrace (Multicultural), SercoUnlimited (Disability) and In@Serco (LGBT & Networks). Serco Employee Networks, led by colleagues who are passionate about diversity, inclusion and belonging.
Serco is a Disability Confident Employer committed to employing and retaining people with disabilities. Disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the job will be given the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities at an interview.
Serco European Agencies