Make a difference everyday
Make a difference every day
The Job Opportunity
The purpose of this position is to undertake a defined training programme, to acquire the relevant skills and competence to secure a position as a Technician in one of the Engineering Production Departments.
Whilst working as an Apprentice Technician, individuals will provide effective engineering and maintenance services covering all aspects of their production department
- During Training – undertake all required technical and soft skills training courses and obtain a passing mark in each module. This includes but is not limited to: Induction, O & M Induction, Safety
- Critical Communications, Internal Customer Service, Lineside Worker/Non Lineside Worker;
- Gain a thorough understanding of the technical aspect of each Technician role by spending time on the job shadowing and training within Engineering Production Departments;
- Attend and pass all modules of technical training within chosen discipline (matched to skills and educational experience); Once competent as a Technician – undertake an initial training period within the chosen discipline (Rolling Stock, Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing Services, Civil & Track and Automatic Train Control & Systems);
What we are looking for in our candidates:
- Customer Service – See those they interact with as customer and seeks to identify and meet needs, taking swift action to resolve issues with integrity.
- Solves Problems – Identifies problems within own area of remit and takes responsibility for finding a solution regardless of the causes.
- Judgement and Decision Making – Quickly recognizes and gets to grips with increasingly complex scenarios. Secures and compares information from multiple sources and exercises judgement to close the gaps in data and deal with increasing levels of ambiguity.
- Execution & Delivery – Delivers Against Own Objectives, in accordance with Serco’s Governing Principles, follows through and meets personal commitments in an organised and methodical manner.
- Communication & Influence – Communicates effectively and clearly and concisely conveys information and ideas that engage others.
- Supports Difference – works effectively with individuals of diverse cultures, interpersonal styles, abilities, motivations or background.
- Lives Serco values – Trust, Care, Innovation and Innovation.
Essential technical and professional skills , knowledge and qualifications
- Diploma in electrical or mechanical engineering discipline.
- Semi-skilled work or work in a skilled capacity where the work is closely monitored and supervised to gain experience and Following the completion of the initial training period, this post will report to a Team Leader within one of the Engineering Production Departments (Rolling Stock, Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing Services, Civil & Track and Automatic Train Control & Systems).
- Must have good eyesight and normal colour vision; Holds a valid driving license with good driving skill and experience;
- Strong English language skills (written and spoken) and Possess good communication skills and the ability to manage multiple tasks efficiently and work productively in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment;
- Ability to write simple technical reports, routine business correspondence, prepare method statements and drawings as required;
Working with Serco
At Serco, not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play.
We are a team of 50,000 people responsible for delivering essential public services around the world and we committed to redesigning and improving these services through innovation.
Take pride in what you do
Serco is committed to Equal Employment Opportunities and is committed to ensuring the safety of all of its employees through its Zero Harm initiative.