Additive Manufacturing Engineer
Serco specialise in the delivery of essential public services, with over 50,000 people working in defence, transport, justice, immigration, healthcare and other citizen services across UK & Europe, North America, Asia Pacific and the Middle East.
If you seek a rewarding, high profile and challenging position supporting projects for the US Navy- Serco has a terrific opportunity for you!
This position will be on a dynamic team, supporting Team Submarine. Bring your expertise and collaborative skills to make an impact towards our military defense and safety of our sailors.
Team Submarine’s Submarine Program Offices are responsible for:
The acquisition of the OHIO Class replacement and for identifying, assembling, managing, directing, and coordinating the resources required for the R&D, design, construction, Test and Evaluation (T&E) and Live Fire Test and Evaluation (LFT&E) of the COLUMBIA Class. The program is a major defense acquisition program and is of significant political importance with Congress and the Office of the Secretary of Defense (OSD).
The acquisition of New Construction Submarines and for identifying, assembling, managing, directing, and coordinating the resources required for the R&D, design, construction, Test and Evaluation (T&E), Live Fire Test and Evaluation (LFT&E), and Fleet introduction of the U.S. Navy’s newest class of nuclear attack submarines. The program is a major defense acquisition program with a total life cycle cost of approximately $336B. Additionally, successful improvement of the Class’s capabilities is of significant political importance with Congress and the Office of the Secretary of Defense (OSD).
The SSN(X) Office is responsible for the acquisition and design of the future fast attack submarine and for identifying, assembling, managing, directing, and coordinating the resources required for the R&D, design, construction, Test and Evaluation (T&E) and Live Fire Test and Evaluation (LFT&E) of the future submarine. The future Attack Submarine will be designed to retain multi-mission capability and sustained combat presence in denied waters with a focus on greater speed, stealth, and horizontal payloads and salvo rates.
Serco supports the US Navy as a prime for their Team Submarine SHAPM contract supporting the acquisition of submarines. The Team Submarine concept unifies once diverse submarine-related activities into a single submarine-centric organization with the goal of eliminating traditional stovepipe structures and processes that created impediments and inefficiencies in the submarine research, development, acquisition, and maintenance communities. Team Submarine provides improved communication among the various offices that contribute to the overall success of the United States Submarine Force.
Serco-NA is seeking a motivated engineer to provide engineering and programmatic support to one of our customers with the U.S. Navy in the Washington, DC area.
The Additive Manufacturing Engineer is responsible for design, development, and testing of all facets of the additive process with a focus on machines, software, part design and analysis, and additive techniques.
- Be an active contributor within a team of engineers who perform the design, development, and testing of all facets of the additive process using powder-bed and powder-fed approaches.
- Generate optimized build files to produce high quality parts in minimum time with maximum consistency.
- Work with other engineers to help refine the design of existing parts and optimize new parts to leverage additive technology.
- Work with Materials Engineers to investigate properties, geometric accuracy, and surface finish results to develop optimal print parameters, heat treatments, and design allowables for existing and new alloys.
- Work interdisciplinary trades on processes that result in optimal additive part production.
- After hardware is produced, communicate results and feedback to Responsible Engineers to continuously develop and improve hardware production.
- Produce reports, procedures, and manuals to document results to mature development processes for production.
- A current or active DoD Secret clearance, or the ability to obtain an active DoD Secret clearance.
- A Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering, or other engineering discipline.
- Five to seven years of experience in propulsion component design or development of metallic additive technologies.
- MS Microsoft skills are essential, especially Excel and PowerPoint.
- You must have the ability to work both in a team environment and independently, and often under short, multiple deadlines.
- 10% travel required.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in aeronautical, astronautical, or mechanical engineering.
- Work experience in the Navy and specifically within Team Submarine or on-board submarines is a plus.
- Experience with operating additive machines, including parameter development and process control.
- Experience with additive simulation software.
- Experience with topology optimization software.
- Knowledge of various additive and subtractive manufacturing and joining techniques for metals.
- Solid understanding of optics and lasers
- Familiarity with common engineering materials properties (strength, life, thermal, fluid compatibility etc.) and processing attributes particularly for titanium or nickel-based alloys.
- Experience with detailed design and operation of propulsion fluid components (e.g., valves).
- Experience with setting up and running multifactorial design of experiments (DOE’s).
- Ability to perform trade studies using first principles and engineering fundamentals.
- Proficient in basic principles of compressible and incompressible flow, thermodynamics, thermochemistry, mechanics, materials, and electrical circuits.
- Experience with Finite Element Modeling and Postprocessing (FEMAP), Analysis System (ANSYS), and similar structural analysis software tools.
- Hands-on experience with aerospace component or fluid system testing, including pressure, hot-fire, and environmental testing.
Serco Inc. (Serco) is the Americas division of Serco Group, plc. Serco serves every branch of the U.S. military, numerous U.S. Federal civilian agencies, the Intelligence Community, the Canadian government, state and local governments, and commercial clients. We help our clients deliver vital services more efficiently while increasing the satisfaction of their end customers. Headquartered in Herndon, Virginia, Serco Americas has over 9,000 employees and is part of a $4 billion global business that helps transform government and public services around the world. At Serco, our employees are our most valuable asset – we listen, respect and support them throughout their career at Serco. We invite you to become part of our dynamic team. Serco is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversifying our workforce (Race/ Color/ Sex/ Sexual Orientation/ Gender Identity/ Religion/ National Origin/ Disability/ Vets).
If you require an accommodation with the application process please email: email@example.com or call the HR Service Desk at 800-628-6458, option 1. Please note, due to EEOC/OFCCP compliance, Serco is unable to accept resumes by email.
COVID-19 Regulations: Serco complies with all applicable COVID-19 requirements. This may require employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19, provide attestations regarding vaccination status and/or COVID-19 testing, or satisfy other conditions of employment that Serco deems appropriate, and employees may be required to show proof of vaccination and/or negative COVID-19 test results as a condition of employment (except in limited circumstances where an employee is legally entitled to an accommodation).