SES is the world-leading satellite operator. It provides reliable and secure satellite and ground communications solutions. We push for breakthroughs in connectivity and their impact for people worldwide.
ROLE DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
The incumbent will support the preparation of technical proposals in response to international tenders and contribute to the development, implementation, and improvement of ground- and space-based services and systems.
Key activities include the collection of SES customer requirements, the engineering of communications systems, the preparation of technical studies, reports, specifications, contractual documentation and operational guidelines, and the coordination of multidisciplinary and multicultural project teams while working with SES internal and external partners.
The incumbent will be integrated within an international team of highly skilled engineers and will gradually take more responsibilities. Depending on the projects’ nature and scope, he will be either in charge or acting in support of the below listed tasks.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES / KEY RESULT AREAS
- Be responsible for the delivery of projects and services to customers within the agreed budget, specification and schedule, meaning:
- Perform system design and implementation of complex space and ground systems;
- Design and implement VSATs and earth stations or related subsystems including antennas, transmission equipment, monitor and control, and network management systems;
- Perform transmission analysis, in particular link budget calculations, and studies in support of business development and customer services;
- Design innovative satellite-based and ground-based communication networks and/or network elements concepts and develop associated specifications;
- Design, implement and support secure solutions for complex heterogeneous systems throughout their lifecycle, based on comprehensive analysis of risks and applying relevant security controls;
- Handle budgets, handle procurements, manage installations and the operational handover of ground segment and communications systems;
- In the scope of the project, coordinate with other functions (Project Control, Legal, Finance) for the transparent and effective realization of assigned project;
- In coordination with the Service Management team, prepare operational procedures and ensure the second Level Customer Support for the delivered system;
- Interface and engage with external partners (e.g. customers, NGO’s, Government bodies, investment partners, vendors, shareholders, etc.);
- Develop new opportunities focused around quantum communication infrastructure, navigation, emergency response, GOVSATCOM and other current and planned Techcom technology and service developments;
- Contribute to innovative projects and services for governments, institutions and supranational organizations (EC, GSA, ESA, EUMETSAT, etc). This means:
- Interacting with multiple partners (>10) from industries, SME, research centres and universities including coaching and mentoring role
- Work-Package management including coordination of lower level work-packages to deliver on-time, within budget and with the appropriate quality the work-package outcomes.
- Take an active part in SES TechCom’s proposal activities through the provision of Technical Specifications, Statement of Works (SOW’s) and Cost Estimations, in response to customer Requests For Information (RFI) and customer Requests For Proposals (RFP), whereby the activities could include the set-up, supervision and coordination of interdisciplinary proposal teams in function of the technical and commercial proposal preparation and along contract negotiation process;
- Awareness and evaluation of relevant technological developments, market trends, competitive factors, customer requirements, standardisation licensing and regulatory aspects. Make recommendations regarding evolution of SES and SES TechCom’s services and products;
- Coach and mentor younger engineers in his / her domain of expertise.
- Strong project management skills (incl. budget management);
- Ability to handle simultaneously multiple projects and leads;
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Ability to become familiar with new technologies to support innovative projects that go beyond the current standard SES products;
- Ability to integrate into and lead cross-functional, multicultural and/or virtual project teams;
- Proven communication skills;
- Business oriented and business proactive towards potential and/or current customers;
- Innovative spirit, proactive approach towards new technical solutions;
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and in a team;
- Good conflict management skills in a multicultural and interdisciplinary set-up.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Master’s degree in Engineering (e.g. Electronics, RF, Aerospace or ICT) or equivalent;
- Minimum 7-10 years of applicable professional experience in the area of engineering and implementing of telecommunications systems or satellite networks;
- Experience in sales engineering (e.g. technical proposal, cost estimation, facing customer);
- Systems engineering experience on satellite-to-ground, air-to-ground and ground-to-ground communication means;
- Experience in communication networks with emphasis on TCP/IP running over different physical media (IP routing protocols; SNMP; VPN; IP Multicast; mobile, wireless and satellite IP);
- Strong knowledge of performance, risk, cost, and schedule analysis;
- Familiar with Windows and Linux operating system, virtualization platforms;
- Computer literacy: MS Office, MATLAB, MS Project;
- Fluency in English, any other language is considered an asset;
- Willing to travel internationally.
- Expertise in the following fields is considered a strong asset:
- Security engineering
- Optical communications and atmospheric models
- Quantum communications
- Key management systems
- Knowledge of ECSS standards and ESA project lifecycle
- Software development life cycle
OTHER KEY REQUIREMENTS / COMMENTS
Main interfaces to other departments: “Business Development and Sales”, “Finance and Operations”, “Project Management”, “System Architecture”, “Software Engineering”
NATO/EU SECRET clearances are considered a strong asset. Candidate must be willing to undergo a security clearance procedure as this position might require holding security clearance.