SES is the world-leading satellite operator. It provides reliable and secure satellite and ground communications solutions. We push for breakthroughs in connectivity and their impact for people worldwide.
ROLE DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
The Spacecraft Engineer, Payload Subsystem will part of the team in charge of Payload Engineering, spacecraft in-orbit operations and performance monitoring, as well as support to spacecraft planning, design and procurement for the GEO and/or MEO Fleet.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES / KEY RESULTS AREAS
- Monitor health status and provide on-call support for satellites in operation, including recovery and follow-up of eventual spacecraft off-limit conditions, anomalies and service interruptions
- Ensure Customer satisfaction in line with SLA terms and maximize satellite fleet availability and longevity
- Support procedure development of payload mission of the current and upcoming satellites. Ensure lessons learned are applied.
- Develop and maintain new integrated payload applications and tools required for performance monitoring, operation automation, resource optimization and constellation performance
- Act as Payload expert for other people in SES Group and to satellite users pertaining to satellite performance. Support end-to-end design solutions. Requires a thorough understanding of end-to-end communications link budgets and infrastructure
- Support and prepare for spacecraft anomalies and contingency operations, including new operational solutions, for contingency operations at spacecraft and fleet level
- Support Payload mission, operations and phasing of the MEO satellites into constellation.
- Support Payload IOT, transition and phasing for Start of Service.
- Support the design and procurement of new satellites, for spacecraft design reviews, integration, ground and in-orbit testing.
- Develop training material and provide technical training to internal Customers
- Have a thorough understanding of the satellite payload subsystems, including the management all the equipment on board of the spacecraft that is required for proper transmission of the customer signal
- Have strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Have strong computer software skills. Intermediate or advance in analytical programming languages (Python, visual Basic and/or Matlab and / or Web Dev) or any Web Development programming languages are a plus. Familiar with data retrieval, data analytics, machine learning and artificial intelligence
- Have a sound theoretical knowledge, and be eager to implement it in a practical environment
- Be able to provide 24/7 on-call support, react to contingencies and cope with high stress situations
- Have a strong sense of initiative and a self-starter attitude
- Ability to adapt to fast-paced or custom situations with innovative and effective solutions
- Ability to develop autonomously new methods, applications meeting new business requirements
- Ability to effectively respond to and interact with all levels of organizational staff
- Have strong communication skills, both written and oral, and team-spirit
- Be willing to integrate into an international environment
- Have a thorough understanding of Digital Transparent Processor Design and Operations
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering (master’s degree preferred), with a specialization in Radio Frequency telecommunications. Previous exposure to digital payload technology and operation is considered a strong asset
SES is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer