SES is the world-leading satellite operator. It provides reliable and secure satellite and ground communications solutions. We push for breakthroughs in connectivity and their impact for people worldwide.
ROLE DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
The Sr. Manager, Fixed Data SMM is a senior member of a team defining and executing the portfolio and Go-To-Market strategies for SES Networks’ satellite-enabled products and managed services targeted at the Fixed Data market segment, which includes Telco, MNO, Service Provider, and Enterprise customers. This role will be instrumental in SES’ mission of closing the digital divide for the globally 4B unconnected and under-connected broadband users, as well as bringing broadband and cloud connectivity to remote and underserved enterprises. The role will be highly outcome focused, with measures of success including market impact, revenue and profitability, and customer adoption of Mobile/Cellular networking, Wholesale IP/Ethernet Trunking, Enterprise, Cloud, and Consumer Broadband products and services.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES/KEY RESULT AREAS
As a part of the larger Fixed Data SMM team, the role involves the following activities:
- Analysing and gaining deep insights into market conditions for the Fixed Data Segment as relates to satellite enabled Mobile/Cellular networking, Wholesale IP/Ethernet Trunking, Enterprise, Cloud, and Consumer Broadband applications
- In parallel, assessing future technology evolution for the Fixed Data Segment; e.g. Satellite Segment evolution, plus higher order capabilities such as Enterprise IT/OT trends, Cloud Infrastructure and Services, IoT, LTE/5G evolutions, etc.
- Diagnosing customer needs – i.e., desired business outcomes and challenges/pain points – that ultimately inform SES’ portfolio strategy for the Fixed Data Segment
- Defining, and launching impactful product and service offerings for the Fixed Data Segment – with key deliverables including Business Cases, Market Requirement Descriptions, Solution Descriptions, Fleet/Asset Utilization Strategies, Commercial/Pricing Structures, Partner/Channel Requirements, and Customer Facing Collateral (roadmaps, feature descriptions, value propositions).
- Managing the product and service offerings from cradle-to-grave using industry convention Product LifeCycle (PLC) processes: Introduction, Growth, Maturity, and Decline.
- Delivering on KPIs for segment success, typically measured by sales, revenues, P&L/profitability, and RoI on required investments.
- Communicating the Fixed Data Segment strategy internally and externally, serving as an advocate and leading by influence to align cross-functional stakeholders in support of the strategy
- Working with SES Marketing functions, designing and orchestrating sales enablement campaigns: Collateral, training, roadshows, etc.
- Interfacing with a cross-functional set of internal/external functions including Product Management, Engineering, Commercial Management, Asset Management, Suppliers, Partners/Channels, and Sales and Marketing in support of the Fixed Data Segment strategy and business
- Serving as a public voice for SES for developing market presence for the Fixed Data Segment, which could include evangelizing in customer and industry fora as well as supporting media and analyst events
- Providing leadership and guidance – not necessarily managerial leadership – to the other team members in accomplishing team objectives and deliverables, implying higher levels of ownership and accountability
The role requires a combination of:
- Deep knowledge and skills across some or all of the following areas: Satellite networking, Ethernet/IP networking, Cloud Infrastructure and Services, Mobile/Cellular networking including LTE/5G, Enterprise IT/OT, and IoT.
- Self-motivation to stay up-to-date on industry / business trends and developments, maintaining professional growth and development using multiple approaches (e.g., self-study, seminars, workshops, and professional affiliations.)
- Self-starting and self-managing work approach, able to work independently or with little guidance to assess customer needs and company priorities and derive segment deliverables, set action plans and manage team priorities to achieve these deliverables
- Solution Design skills, blending the application of technology with professional services, partnering arrangements, and commercial frameworks to define impactful products and services
- Business Development skills, able to balance near term performance against long-term strategy
- Business case creation to include top-down and bottoms up revenue projections, investment requirements, P&L analysis, RoI profiling, competitive analysis, and SWOT analysis/risk mitigation
- Effective negotiation skills, showing strong commercial and analytical abilities in finding “win-win” solutions both internal to SES as well as between SES and customers/partners/channels.
- Cross functional team leadership, frequently “leading by influence”, forming and directing cross functional teams towards common objectives and deliverables. Working openly, supportively, and collaboratively with others for solving problems and sharing ideas
- Strong presentation skills; possessing the ability to produce and present content in an inspiring manner to a variety of internal and external audiences
- Intercultural awareness, working across a global enterprise with awareness and sensitivity to global cultural variations
QUALIFICATION & EXPERIENCE
The role requires a combination of:
- 10+ years’ experience in the Telecom/SatCom/ISP industry in one or more of the following areas: Product/Portfolio Management, Business Development, Solution Design and/or Engineering
- Demonstrated knowledge of business and technology trends for key Fixed Data application areas – Mobile/Cellular networking (especially LTE/5G), BW wholesaling, Enterprise IT/OT/Cloud/IoT connectivity
- Extensive experience interfacing with customers to assess their business objectives, challenges, and pain points, including working with customers as a trusted advisor to recommend impactful solutions
- Proven track record of launching and managing products and services aimed at MNO/Telco, ISP, Satellite Service Provider, System Integrator, and/or end user Enterprise customers. Experience defining such products and services on behalf of a communications or network service provider is preferred.
- Experience with processes for new product development, implementation & management, including: market trends/analysis, business case justifications, product roadmap development, product life-cycle management
- Demonstrated managerial and/or thought leadership experience in a multinational organization, covering strategic, technical, commercial and marketing aspects
- Demonstrated public profile for industry events, media, and/or analyst engagements
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in either Engineering with focus on Networking/IT, or Marketing with focus on Business Development
- Fluency in English. Other languages, French, Spanish, etc. are considered as additional assets
- Ability to undertake international travel, up to 30% of the time
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
In addition to a competitive salary and benefits package, we offer you a truly global opportunity in an exciting industry and all the support you’ll need for both your professional and personal development. But most of all, we offer a truly unique opportunity to play your part in making a difference for those who need it most. We strive to uphold honesty, transparency and courage in everything we do. We’re proud to belong to the SES team and collaborate towards success.
GOOD TO KNOW
SES and its Affiliated Companies are committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, protected veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law. In conformity with U.S. Government technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and the Export Administration Regulations (EAR), and/or other applicable U.S. law, regulation or other requirements imposed by the U.S. Government, certain positions may require U.S. Citizenship, status as a lawful permanent resident of the U.S. or a “protected individual” as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligibility to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State or U.S. Department of Commerce.