SES is the world-leading satellite operator. It provides reliable and secure satellite and ground communications solutions. We push for breakthroughs in connectivity and their impact for people worldwide.Where others see barriers, we see opportunities.
Do you enjoy helping customers experience breakthroughs in their business? Do you stay attuned to your customers’ needs and visions? Do you like to work openly and supportively together with your colleagues and customers? Our work involves many different minds and skills, it can’t be done alone.
It’s a great time to be part of SES.
SES is the world-leading satellite operator providing end-to-end communication solutions. SES leads across new technologies in video, fixed data, mobility and government We are a team of people from around the world working together to make a significant difference in the world.
As a part of the SES Networks team, you will play an integral part in delivering on our vision to bring differentiated networks and services to our customers, and grow our business with exciting customers, and become the world’s leading provider of global, satellite-enabled, data communications services. SES Networks—the only network provider with a multi-band, multi-orbit infrastructure—delivers end to end managed networking solutions through the company’s robust global services capability, providing maximum value to customers across industries and geographies.
- Helps close the digital divide by connecting people in the most remote and difficult to connect places around the world.
- Makes it possible for people to stay connected while flying 10km high on a commercial airplane.
- Provides extensive satellite coverage across all the world’s seas and oceans via dedicated mobility beams.
- Works together with our partners to develop new standards and technology, use intelligent analytics to optimize capacity utilization and user experience.
Role Description Summary
The Senior Solutions Engineer is the primary technical point of contact for prospective and existing customers within the Asia Pacific Fixed Data segment. The Solutions Engineer is an integral member of APAC Fixed Data Regional Sales Team, providing support in all aspects of defining, developing and implementing solutions for customer’s service requirements using the full suite of products and services using both the SES GEO & MEO satellite assets and ground networks.
Primary Responsibilities / Key Result Areas
- Prospect pre-qualification with direct interface with customer/prospect engineers, and business development staff;
- Respond within strict and short deadlines to Request for Proposals (RFPs) and tenders;
- Develop optimized technical service solutions and prepare technical proposals in support of informal sales requests and formal RFPs with a detailed understanding of the customer’s service needs, business environment and Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) drivers;
- Perform engineering analysis to determine how services can be offered and optimized;
- Prepare and present customer presentations on service solutions, systems design, and standard products;
- Experience within the Telco/ISP/MNO segment, including Solutions experience either within primary Telco operators or suppliers;
- Provide training to customers both internal and external on SES Networks services and products;
- Engage with customers to schedule operational trials and demonstrations, enhancing the customers’ knowledge of SES products;
- Support the Marketing Department as a technical author when required (Case study prep, and application notes, etc.);
- Represent SES Networks at trade shows and industry conferences;
- Work with customers to help them grow their business with SES Networks by identifying new applications which can be supported and service expansions which can be contacted;
- Track and understand new satellite access schemes, earth station antenna design, and wireless and network technologies, systems, and applications. Understands their use with the SES Networks system to support end-to-end customer service applications;
- Recommend to customers new technologies being developed for use with the SES Networks system which can better serve their needs and increase SES Networks share of wallet;
- Assist Product Development, and Network and Space Systems Engineering in understanding what customers need to grow their business in terms of follow- on satellite architectures, new product types, ground terminal developments, service cost models, beam placements, and SES Networks operations customer service support;
- Maintain existing customer frequency allocations including satellite carrier and or lease changes, transmission plan activation and maintenance using SES software tools;
- Mentoring APAC Solutions Engineering team members as Subject Matter Expert with the knowledge gained of E2E Solutions; Products; Managed Services offering and SLAs;
- When required, provide Solutions Engineering support to other sales teams;
- Other ad-hoc duties or projects, as required by the Line Manager.
- Technical knowledge: Proficiency in satellite transmission analysis and complex solution engineering.
- Extended knowledge of satellite design, Broadcasting technologies, VSAT networks, network architecture, access schemes, data networking, engineering software development, and radiofrequency propagation analysis;
- Experience and knowledge of IP networks, access routing, BGP/MPLS, IP Peering, and networking technologies as well as international Carrier services;
- Excellent Negotiation & Communication skills: Ability to efficiently assist Sales in creating winning technical proposals. Good presentation techniques and effective sales proposal skills. Ability to work effectively in structured or virtual teams;
- Excellent Customer Relation skills: Build and maintain relationships with customers guides by the capture team leader in order to retain and grow revenues and margins as well as the ability to gain a clear understanding of the customers’ businesses and requirements and be able to offer the customer bespoke advice upon forthcoming product developments or services that could lead to new sales and/or to service optimizations;
- Market intelligence & new technology developments: In this highly competitive market, it is necessary to have ongoing knowledge and understanding of the market and developments in the customer base. Specific trends or shifts in the market need to be monitored, tracked, analyzed and reported to management or other parts of the organization;
- Regional knowledge: With customers and staff located in different regions of the world, it is key to understand the variances within the region and as such the differences in market settings, customers’ expectations & requirements to be able to determine the different necessary strategies;
Qualification & Experience
- Bachelor in Electrical Engineering/Communications/Computer Science
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant industry experience as well as APAC markets
- Extensive knowledge and experience on GEO and MEO services
- Knowledge of satellite transmission analysis and optimization
- Knowledge of satellite access technologies and earth station components
- Hands-on knowledge of the design and architecture of Enterprise and Telecommunications Networks, including Mobile Backhaul; access networks implementation and operation including troubleshooting faults and service difficulties
- Strong knowledge and experience in IP based networks and services
- Regional market experience and business cultural awareness
- Knowledge of English is essential. Additional regional languages desirable
- Excellent communication ability, both in written and verbal
- Strong interpersonal, presentation and sales proposal skills
- Willing to travel internationally and meet directly with clients
- Ability to work effectively in a global high energy multicultural team
We offer you
- A diverse workplace. For SES, diversity is more than a question of gender or race; we welcome different minds and different skills.
- An exciting job opportunity in a fast-moving and fascinating industry. Our technology is launching into space for the next generation of rockets.
- Opportunities to further grow and develop in a global and growing company; we believe life-long learning is key to bring the best of SES worldwide.
- A competitive compensation package linked to your performance, and further supplemented with attractive benefits.
SES is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.